nightly build H.264 (Nvdia NVEnc)

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
zorin1

nightly build H.264 (Nvdia NVEnc)

Post by zorin1 »

Description of problem or question:
I have been playing around with the nightly build because I wanted to try NVEnc for encoding. I'm interested if anyone has an recommendations on settings for NVEnc H.264.

The setting that I use for plain H.264 (x264) are:
FPS: Same as Source
Constant Framerate
Quality: Constant Quality: 18 (RF)
Encoder Preset: Slower
Encoder Tune: Film
Encoder Profile: High
Encoder Level: 4.1

I'm trying to find the same settings for NVEnc H.264 that produce the same quality and file size. Since I'm using the nightly build the documentation is not that good on the QP if lower is better. I also don't know if Encoder Preset does anything. I changed this value a few time and the file size is the same so I'm not if it does anything.

If you have an recommendation please let me know. I have tried QP: as 18 and 19 and Encoder Preset at HQ and bd.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

nightly 2018071101

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Windows 10
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: nightly build H.264 (Nvdia NVEnc)

Post by s55 »

NVEnc is optimised for performance, gaming and streaming applications. Not so much for quality and filesize. As a result, Even the highest quality settings are approximately around x264 superfast.

Stick with the Slow / HQ presets.

You can compensate, somewhat, by adjusting the quality slider. You will get bigger file sizes but if storage isn't a concern it's probably not significant enough to cause concern. Note, the Quality scale is not the same as x264 so don't use that for comparison.

I haven't however, found a way to stop the encoder from softening the video. Some folks don't mind this, or just don't notice it. You'll probably hate me now that I've pointed it out :)
zorin1

Re: nightly build H.264 (Nvdia NVEnc)

Post by zorin1 »

I was just hoping to reduce the rendering time by using the video card or the on cpu graphics. I just want the same quality. When I use the onboard graphics it crashes, from the bug log this seems to be a known issue with the i7-4790K.