video jerkiness after detelecining

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
rmarier83

video jerkiness after detelecining

Post by rmarier83 »

I have a DVD [Futurama/NTSC] that has the 29.97 fps telecine (ran it through nero recode) and when I detelecined it here the video doesn't seem as smooth as when I leave that option unchecked.
I've tried lots of things like different FPS and plain old deinterlacing without the detelcining. I've even combined the two.

Other than this problem, this piece of software could become better than Nero's Recode (they don't have any detelecing options). I've gotten some really nice output files from this, most better than recode.

(As for my last post [the syncing issues] I solved that already-sorry about that)
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Futurama isn't hard telecined, it's mixed content, leaning towards mostly progressive.

It is not something you should be using the detelecine in 0.9.1 on.
rmarier83

Post by rmarier83 »

Thanks for the reply, I do have 1 final question and that is:
"Is there a way to know if such videos like this are soft/hard telecined?"
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

rmarier83 wrote:Thanks for the reply, I do have 1 final question and that is:
"Is there a way to know if such videos like this are soft/hard telecined?"
Not really. You have to look at them. An example of what hard telecining looks like is available on this, still-being-written page of documentation for a not-yet-publicly-available feature:
http://handbrake.m0k.org/trac/wiki/VariableFrameRate