With upcoming changes to data protection and privacy laws in Europe coming into effect soon, we thought this would be a good time to remind everyone that we do have a privacy policy.
This applies to all users and visitors world-wide.

We have made a few changes to the language to make it clearer in relation to this new regulation but fundamentally, the terms and your rights are unchanged.

If you have any questions about this, please feel free to ask in the General Forum

Possible to limit thread usage?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
bobross

Possible to limit thread usage?

Post by bobross » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:02 am

Can we get an an option to manually set the number of threads used? Seems like most programs are not really optimized for high core counts (36+) and it might end taking longer to encode due to overhead?

mduell
Veteran User

Re: Possible to limit thread usage?

Post by mduell » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:04 am

You can limit the video encoder threads in the advanced encoder options.

Other than that, there are a number of threads you can't control, but they won't cause the problem you're describing.

bobross

Post by bobross » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:22 am

Ok thanks, not seeing this video encoder threads in the advanced encoder options though...?

Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:50 pm

It's not a clickable setting. You would add it to the "Extra Options" box on the Video tab.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm remembering "threads=N" (where N is the number of threads to limit to) is the option.

BradleyS

Post by BradleyS » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:01 pm

Yes, this should work for the x264 encoder (x265 uses thread pools and the options are different: http://x265.readthedocs.io/en/default/threading.html).

For the most part, there is no need to mess with this.