Aspect ratio settings

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
prman

Aspect ratio settings

Post by prman »

Description of problem or question:

This query is designed to be posted on the Community Support page, if I have done it correctly:

I have tried to encode a DVD that has a widescreen aspect ratio, with black bars on the top and bottom. Yet when I play the encoded mp4 file in VLC Media Player , the black bars are eliminated and the vertical dimension is stretched at the top and bottom to fill the entire screen. This is not what I want. When I open the file in Movavi Editor and choose 16:9 ratio, the black bars reappear on top and bottom and are saved to another mp44 file with them intact. There must obviously be a setting in HandBrake that is not being set correctly. Can anyone tell me what I should change in order to keep the correct vertical dimensions (with the bars) in the encoded mp4 file?

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Handbrake 0.10.5.0 64-bit version

Operating system and version

Windows 10 Home, Version 1709, OS Build 16299.431

Activity Log — https://www.dropbox.com/s/akp5zc6wpoocb ... M.txt?dl=0
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Aspect ratio settings

Post by Woodstock »

Letterbox bars are considered disposable, and handbrake defaults to cropping them off to save space. Players are free to re-insert them as they need them.
Scanning title 1 of 1, preview 10, 100.00 %[03:04:37] scan: 10 previews, 720x480, 23.976 fps, autocrop = 58/62/0/0, aspect 16:9, PAR 32:27
You can change this on the Picture menu by setting Cropping to "Custom", and use zeros for all the entries.