Virus Detected In HandBrake Nightly Build.

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Shane
Novice

Virus Detected In HandBrake Nightly Build.

Post by Shane »

http://i63.tinypic.com/2ms4wgx.jpg

Description of problem or question:

Virus detected in the HandBrake Nightly Build Uninstall executable file. I tried to embed a screenshot but it's not showing up I just pasted the image link if anyone wants to see the screenshot.

Windows Defender says it is called Trojan:Win32/Bitrep.A
It labeled it "Severe" and quarantined it.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

Can't reproduce. Windows 10 quarantined the file.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Nightly 20160923192301-ee6c828-master (2016092401) - 64bit Version

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 10.0.16299 Build 16299 x64-based PC

I haven't used this PC in a long time. I don't download anything on it except from the accounts I have created with software vendors, and I haven't downloaded any updates in a very long time. Life got in the way and I haven't been on the net much. The one thing I did do recently is I had to download the Garmin Express program to link my GPS to my PC to update the map on my Garmin GPS. Windows is not finding a virus with it.

Anyway, do with this what you will. Just thought I'd mention it.

Shane
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Virus Detected In HandBrake Nightly Build.

Post by s55 »

That's an extremely old nightly build your running there.

We've seen a lot of false positives with the uninstaller executable. Unfortunately there isn't much we can do about it. As soon as we submit for analysis there is a new nightly out and a good chance it'll fail the same reason, or in the near future when the rulesets next update.

Obviously we can't say with 100% certainty in this instance. It may have come from a 3rd party or been infected by something else but given your description it seems more likely just to be another false positive. especially if it's been on your system all this time.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Virus Detected In HandBrake Nightly Build.

Post by Woodstock »

Antivirus detection schemes are always "best guess" in nature. I have DOS executables I wrote in the 1990's that are sometimes detected as containing dangerous trojans that weren't even written until 2014.

My standard recommendation is to submit the executable to your preferred AV vendor for review. You can submit it to various sites like virustotal.com for a generic check, but submitting it to your AV vendor will usually result in a revision to their checker to take the false positive into account.