Can someone talk me through doing more than one file

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
guiri

Can someone talk me through doing more than one file

Post by guiri »

at the same time, ie, queue. I try to ad things to the queue but it tells me "there are jobs on the queue with the same destination path. Please choose a different path for this job.

I'm ,on windows 7, 64 bit and 1.1.0 of handbrake

I'm a little dense so any chance anyone can talk me through this over the phone?

Thanks

George
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Can someone talk me through doing more than one file

Post by s55 »

Have a read through https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.1.0/advanced/queue.html and see if it helps.

Unfortunately we can't offer phone or email support. HandBrake is a hobby project for us, not a business so there is no true support staff.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

You need to do some tweaking in Preferences->Output files, Automatic File Naming. If "Automatically name output files" is not checked, or the "File Format" box has nothing in it, batch add will give the issue you are experiencing.

The link s55 gave explains what's available.
guiri

Post by guiri »

Thanks, I didn't expect phone support, just perhaps a member that knows this that could talk me through it.

I did look at that same explanation that was posted but I'm still having problems and get that message when I tried to add to that queue.

I do have the automatically rename output files checked...

File format box has this in it {source}-{title}
guiri

Post by guiri »

Maybe I'm just too stupid but seems to me that the batch or add to queue process could be simplified a lot but then, I'm not a programmer, just a user.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

The problem is that computers are NOT as smart as people think they are.

Since you can only have one file with a particular file name in your source directory, the result of the {source} tag should be unique on output, unless you are trying to add from multiple directories, where the source name is the same.

For me, my Default Path is set to include the path of the original file (tag {source_folder_name} at the end), and the File Format is {source} . This usually will deal with duplicate file names, so long as they're in separate directories.
guiri

Post by guiri »

Well, again, I'm dense as hell and I have a huge reading comprehension problem, hence the phone request.

I made a new directory where I put a bunch of files that need to be shrunk and picked them all but as soon as I try to start the conversion,
it gives me a hard time about the output location. Shouldn't it just rename the file (add something to the end) and put the finished file
in the new directory?

I would think that it would be as simple as that but it doesn't seem to work for me.

Clearly I'm doing something wrong..?

Also, I went online looking for other software and I have found others that allow me to do multiple files but I like handbrake better simply because
of the multitude of output profiles ready to use and I need that because I have no idea on how to set that manually. So, I like the proggy, but I can't figure out how to use it with multiple files and I have many files I would like resized.

Thanks
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

guiri wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:53 amWell, again, I'm dense as hell and I have a huge reading comprehension problem, hence the phone request.
Can't imagine why nobody might want to take up that offer.
guiri wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:53 amI made a new directory where I put a bunch of files that need to be shrunk and picked them all but as soon as I try to start the conversion,
it gives me a hard time about the output location. Shouldn't it just rename the file (add something to the end) and put the finished file
in the new directory?
It could, if you configured it as such.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

If you are trying to write to the same directory the files exist in, that warning is preventing you from overwriting the source.

Make sure your destination directory is DIFFERENT from the source directory.
guiri

Post by guiri »

Yeah, different directory but when I try to add another file to the queue I get this message
"there are jobs on the queue with the same destination path. Please choose a different path for this job."

I mean, yeah, the path is the same because it's the same output folder but I was assuming it would just keep renaming the files and putting
them in that output folder but it doesn't seem to want to do that.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

The destination is to a file, not a path. Setting it to a path is invalid.

Every time you change title, or select a new source, it generates a full path and filename for you if you have auto-named turned on.
guiri

Post by guiri »

It's ok, I don't get it.

Thanks for trying.
guiri

Post by guiri »

Well, it seems to work now and god knows what the hell I did but I'm going to try again.

I put all the files in one directory and opened that one. Set an output directory which I tried before but this time it seemed to work.

I'll do some more testing and I'll be back.

Thanks
guiri

Post by guiri »

NOPE! Didn't work. It only does the first file in the whole folder and then it stops.

:(
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Are all the items in the queue?
guiri

Post by guiri »

Well, I had a buddy of mine check his and then help me through teamviewer so I finally got it figured out so thanks to everyone that helped :)
guiri

Post by guiri »

rollin_eng, to answer your question, if was a two step operation and I didn't know how to do it so now, it's working for me. THanks :)