Much higher than normal video bitrate with Disney blu-ray

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
brigrigg

Much higher than normal video bitrate with Disney blu-ray

Post by brigrigg »

I'm getting a 2,400kb/s video bitrate when ripping Moana blu-ray to 720p with h.265 (normally it's ~1,000-1,500)
I purchased Moana really cheap from Redbox (yes, legally purchased for $6 and not a daily rental), and ripped it with my normal settings (h.265, quality 21, preset at slower), but the bitrate on the video track was huge. By comparison Zootopia ripped at the same settings came out to 1,100kb/s (video only). According to Blu-ray.com and analyzing files with MediaInfo, they're both the same with MPEG-4 AVC 24Mbps 1080p. Now I now different movies will rip at different bitrates depending on the type of video (slow moving vs fast, color depth, etc.), but 2.2x the size!?! And from the same animation studio no less.

I thought something might have changed in my system that would have caused it, so I even ran Zootopia through AnyDVD again, re-ripped with same settings, and got the same 1,100kb/s rate that I got last year. There are two shorts on the blu-ray, one is in the Moana "universe" and another is completely separate short. The Moana short is getting the same bitrate in Handbrake where as the other is the typical much smaller bitrate. I've even tried re-ripping to see if it was just a fluke, but same results.

The only thing that I know to be different is that I've never ripped a Redbox blu-ray before (since I've always rented and never bought from them before). Am I missing a setting or is there just something different with Moana that is legitimately causing the much higher bitrate?

tia
Brian

HandBrake version 1.0.7 / AnyDVD 8.2.3
Win7 64 / Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4810MQ CPU @ 2.80GHz / Ram: 32392 MB
GPU Information: NVIDIA Quadro K1100M / Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
Log file: https://1drv.ms/t/s!ApxmD_CawfeWh98X8XgXN0BvNtr-GA
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Much higher than normal video bitrate with Disney blu-ray

Post by rollin_eng »

Do you have the log for both encodes?
brigrigg

Post by brigrigg »

I meant to, but forgot to. Here's the one from Zootopia at the normal lower bitrate (1,100kb/s), although I think I removed the audio track to reduce the encode time a bit. https://1drv.ms/t/s!ApxmD_CawfeWh98YlDrDl17T--wICg

I also thought about trying MakeMKV (which I haven't used before), in case AnyDVD is somehow causing the issue (despite it being fine with others).
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

While they may be from the same studio, the movies are nothing alike.

Looking at the encoder stats, I would guess Moana has finer detail in each frame, and more motion between frames or groups of frames, than Zootopia. Both drive a higher bitrate for the same quality target.
brigrigg

Post by brigrigg »

Yeah, and I knew that was a possibility, but wasn't sure since the sources are still both 24Mbps. I would kind of think that if it was due to detail, that the source bitrate would be significantly higher as well. I was just skeptical though since there was such a drastic difference, as the bitrate is MUCH higher than any of my other encodes/rips with the same settings. I also tried h.264 as well, and it seems much higher than normal too, although I'd have to rip Zootopia at 264 to know for sure.

Although VLC for Windows keeps crashing when trying to play it. Sometimes it'll play for quite a while and other times crash right away, and I've never had any issues before. I'll try MakeMKV, but I'm assuming it's the finer detail like you said. As I highly doubt I'm going to re-purchase it somewhere else to see if it's something Redbox did to it.

Thanks!
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Blueray authors have no incentive to use a minimal bitrate, In fact, they would be providing a better product if they fill the disc with the highest bitrate that will fit on disc. But it's generally easier for them to use a high but fixed bitrate that works for pretty much all discs without a lot of fiddling around.
brigrigg

Post by brigrigg »

Oh, I agree. But the bitrate for both movies are the same (According to Blu-ray.com: 24.30 Mbps for Moana and 24.03 for Zootopia), so I would think that Moana would be significantly bigger, due to my results.

I might have to re-rip at a lower quality anyway (and/or h.264), since audio is out of sync a bit when playing from my Samsung phone (via Plex) and actually both audio and video is worse when playing to my laptop for some reason. Although I think both issues might be related to Plex, as VLC doesn't have any issues (when it doesn't crash).

Oh well, thanks for your help!
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

When authoring for Blu-ray, they often use fixed bitrate targets rather than quality based targets, since they don't care about file size (they've got the whole disk to burn).