Intel H265 QSV 10-bit Color is Washed Out

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
paulrbeers

Intel H265 QSV 10-bit Color is Washed Out

Post by paulrbeers »

Description of problem or question:
Trying to convert 4K H265 Blu-Ray Rip from Full Bitrate to something more manageable for storage. After Conversion using the Intel QSV 10-Bit Encdoer, color is washed out (especially reds). It is as if it is being down-converted to 8bit or something. Size is still UHD.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
I've selected the H265 Intel QSV 10-bit encoder and Main 10 instead of Auto. Quality left on default of 24.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Nightly build from this month (not at computer to look, but at the oldest, it would be the 3/2, but more than likely sooner.

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Windows 10 with all major updates

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Will provide tomorrow. My guess is that I am just missing some setting......

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Intel H265 QSV 10-bit Color is Washed Out

Post by mduell »

Search before posting. Covered already.
paulrbeers

Post by paulrbeers »

mduell wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:02 am Search before posting. Covered already.
Maybe you can point me to a post about washes out colors using the Intel 10-but encoder? I can only find posts about using x265. Which begs the question if it going to be washed out, why even bother to offer it. Apparently my skills is inferior, your worship.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

HDR color video is going to be "washed out" when converted to Standard definition. Using 10 or even 12 bits doesn't fix that.
mas5acre
Experienced

Post by mas5acre »

You didn't post a log so this is just an educated guess. I'm thinking you are keeping the same resolution and just lowering the bitrate. If you are steaming it, the device as well as the player on the device as well as your streaming program has to support HDR. I've found one such connection, thats it. With an HDR file thru plex to my HDR capable OLED, only Plex's LG WebOS app supports the HDR file. If I should play that file anywhere else like plex on my XBOX One on the same tv, I have washed out colors with you. Plex is a play Anywhere solution, but can't properly convert HDR colors on all devices even if the devices support HDR. For now, I recommend keeping an HDR file off an HDR source as well as a 8 bit file off an 8 bit source for proper compatibility.
mas5acre
Experienced

Post by mas5acre »

Woodstock wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:49 pm HDR color video is going to be "washed out" when converted to Standard definition. Using 10 or even 12 bits doesn't fix that.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

What you mean is...... HDR color video is going to be washed out when converted to the 8 bit color space of standard definition. It should (I'm learning) be possible to downconvert the resolution and maintain the hdr color space provided all links in the chain support hdr color. (TV and player application.) it's when they don't support the 10 bit color space that the video is washed out.