[Feature Request] Concatenate-and-transcode (or vice-versa)

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Schmengie

[Feature Request] Concatenate-and-transcode (or vice-versa)

Post by Schmengie »

Description of problem or question
I was just wondering--and I apologise if this has been asked before--if there are any plans to include an option to concatenate/append two or more files with like number of audio, video, and/or subtitle tracks (with like number of channels, in the case of audio).

I'm currently trying to rip and encode the extended editions of The Lord of the Rings films, and having some trouble concatenating them together with MKVToolNix (they are each divided on to two BD's due to the sheer size). There is no issue with HandBrake ripping and encoding the parts; it's doing its job phenomenally in conjunction with AnyDVD HD, which is why there is no attached activity log. MKVToolNix, however, while an amazing tool in its own right for multiplexing, often exhibits oddities at join points in the form of what I can best describe as hung/delayed frames when used in merge/split mode, and there seems to be no consistency: It happens in some sources—others, not. Codec does not seem to be a factor. Said frames take a few seconds to pass during play-back while the audio continues as normal. When the frames finally do pass, the video very awkwardly speeds up to compensate and catch up with the audio.

Now, I also have MakeMKV for doing uncompressed rips. What I would love to be able to do is to rip both parts as-is, and then drop both in to HandBrake in a hypothetical concatenation mode with my usual profile applied--or, if I happened to have two optical drives, maybe tell it to rip and concatenate two titles from two discs. I don't have two optical drives, but I figured I'd throw the idea out there.

Can it be done?

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0)
HandBrake Nightly 20180126214425-21d0e57-master (2018012701) - 64bit

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.3 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update)
Windows 10 Creators Update
BradleyS

Re: [Feature Request] Concatenate-and-transcode (or vice-versa)

Post by BradleyS »

My general advice regarding concatenation is to take the original MKV files, before opening with HandBrake, and join them using MKVToolNix/mkvmerge. Then open the product in HandBrake.
Schmengie

Post by Schmengie »

Aye. That's what I just did. Concatenating the un-transcoded source seems to have produced no frame oddities.

I'd still leave this request on the table, if only because it has potential in saving one or two hours of processing time.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Glad it's working for you. :)

At this time, we have no plans to add this feature to HandBrake due to the complexities involved.