Can I use Handbrake to only burn in SRT subtitles but not do any other video/audio conversion?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
MrGone

Can I use Handbrake to only burn in SRT subtitles but not do any other video/audio conversion?

Post by MrGone »

Greetings,

I'm just trying to figure out if HB can be used to ONLY burn in subtitles to my already processed mp4. I don't want to change anything in the mp4 except to burn in subtitles.

How would I do this, is it possible?

Thanks!
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Can I use Handbrake to only burn in SRT subtitles but not do any other video/audio conversion?

Post by rollin_eng »

You can’t burn in subtitles without reencoding the video.
MrGone

Re: Can I use Handbrake to only burn in SRT subtitles but not do any other video/audio conversion?

Post by MrGone »

Thank you for the quick response!
MrGone

Post by MrGone »

Ok, is there a way to burn the subtitles in while only doing minimal reencoding? I may not be using the correct wordage as I'm a noob to video processing. Basically I am hoping there is a way to use HB to burn in subtitles that doesn't drastically change the video quality and size and happens to perform the subtitle encoding quickly. Do I just choose the very fast preset and add in the subtitle I want to burn?
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your logs, instructions can be found here:

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/hel ... y-log.html
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Burning in subtitles involves decoding the video, superimposing the subtitles on it, then re-encoding.

The encode phase is governed by choices - you have, at most, two of "speed", "quality", and "size".
MrGone

Post by MrGone »

Here's an activity file. Sorry for not including one before as I didn't think my question required it.
https://pastebin.com/rJBHiTrh
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

If you're simply looking to speed up the encode, raising your RF value to 24 would do that, at the expense of some quality. Are you happy with the output quality now? Have you tried doing a comparison between, say, RF 20 through 24, to see if the results are acceptable TO YOU? (Lower RF values may make the subtitles you seek more readable.)

If your source is not interlaced (BD sources rarely are, but not unheard of) disabling the decomb filter can result in 3-5% faster encodes.
discless
Enlightened

Post by discless »

You can use Subler to very quickly add the Subtitles text file to your mp4 and not require any video re-encoding. This would then allow your player to turn off/on these subtitles.