How to convert DVD/mp4 to MPEG-1 to play on old Sony LED TV

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
nkiranrao

How to convert DVD/mp4 to MPEG-1 to play on old Sony LED TV

Post by nkiranrao »

Description of problem or question

I am looking to RIP some video from my DVD so that I can play it on my good old Sony KLD-32EX600 TV which I think only supports Mpeg-1 format via the USB stick. In the latest Handbrake version I downloaded I don't see an output container that matches this format. Is it possible to use the Handbrake to convert DVD to old MPEG-1 video ?

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable)

Converted to mp4 format and it works well, then tried to play it on the TV but it fails to recognize the file. Also tried to play with the Video Codec settings but none of them works.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0)

Version 1.0.7

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.3 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update)

Windows 10
video.baba
Novice

Re: How to convert DVD/mp4 to MPEG-1 to play on old Sony LED TV

Post by video.baba »

MPEG-1 right? ....
20 years ago I was messing around with MPEG-1, my god.
From a quick search I noticed your TV also does MPEG-2, Handbrake does output this.
I'm not sure of the output container your TV would accept....
Mate, spend a few $$$ and just buy a cheap media player, they're almost next to nothing in cost, it will save you a lot of grief.... glue it to the back of your TV, no one will notice ;-)
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

USB playback is supported for the following video file format:
–MPEG1, MPEG2 (files with the extension “.mpg”)
Quite limited, but you can output MPEG2 with handbrake.

But the other suggestion is better - you have a 7-year-old 1080p monitor. Give it some smarts. USD30 will get you a non-networked media player. USD50 to 100 will get you network capability to play from a media server, if you want.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Your DVD’s will probably be MPEG2, can you not just rip them and play them directly?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

The video is MPEG2, but the files won't be MPEG2 files, unless the ripper generates them. And since the TV is not smart enough to understand any other format of file...
nkiranrao

Post by nkiranrao »

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll probably give one last try with Mpeg2 before adding another adapter to this TV, but any ideas how to output MPEG2 format from Handbrake latest version?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Video tab, "Video Codec" set to "MPEG-2", output file type MP4, audio set to "AC3", file name with its extension set to "mpg". If that doesn't work, maybe audio set to AAC.