Framerate conversion PAL->NTSC-DVD back to PAL/mkv

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
derSimon

Framerate conversion PAL->NTSC-DVD back to PAL/mkv

Post by derSimon »

I have a Rip of a concert DVD. The DVD is in NTSC 29.97 fps, apperently interlaced. But likely, as the concert was recorded in switzerland, the original recording is in PAL (I assume 25 fps).
I like to have a good Matroska file of it, using h264 encoder.
I tried deinterlace filter yadif, setting "bob", but the movement in the resulting file (59... fps) seems strange. Checking frame by frame, the original dvd-recording apperently has a iipiip (interlaced, progressiv) pattern (resulting in every 5th and 6th frame being equal in my yadif-bob deinterlaced transcode).
Detelecine -Filter in default seems to do nothing, i get an interlaced picture (29.97 fps) in my transcode.

Any suggestions how to deinterlace the material and get smooth playback (and good quality)?

HandBrake version 1.07

Windows 10

HandBrake 1.0.7 (2017040900) - 64bit
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz
Ram: 8124 MB,
GPU Information:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 - 23.21.13.8859
Screen: 1920x1080
Temp Dir: C:\Users...\AppData\Local\Temp\
Install Dir: C:\Program Files\HandBrake
Data Dir: C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\HandBrake Team\HandBrake\1.0.7.0

-------------------------------------------

BradleyS

Re: Framerate conversion PAL->NTSC-DVD back to PAL/mkv

Post by BradleyS »

Have you tried the Decomb filter?
derSimon

Post by derSimon »

Decomb filter worked ok, using same framerate (29.97) as the DVD. But someone at videohelp-forum (source--materiel identified as probaply 25i or 50p) showed me how it could look using avisynth with qtgmc-filter. Much less artifacts and some more frames (with new temporal information) compared to decomb-filter. At least compared frame by frame, side by side, the improvement is amazing.

Still a lot of work learning how to use these programms, and supposedly very slow encoding.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

The EEDI2 presets are going to be as good as it gets for deinterlacing quality in HandBrake, but they're slower.
derSimon

Post by derSimon »

i don't see any quality improvements caompared to yadif/bob with eedi2. Bit I'm missing more frames. But with yadif/bob, there is still the Problem with every 5th and 6th frame being equal.
I tried Staxrip with IVTC-filter, operation TDecimate (mode=2, rate=50). Its better, but i still get a repeating frame like every 5 seconds.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Yeah, you need a decimate filter to really get that right. Try the nightly build if you get a chance, a few things have been tweaked and I’d like to know if it helps. We’re close to HandBrake 1.1.0 and it’s quite stable.
derSimon

Post by derSimon »

I tried the nightly build, but don't know how it could help.

After many hours and several tries with "TDecimate" filter (using staxrip) to get rid of dublicate frames, it seems better I just double the framerate while deinterlacing and leave it like that.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

What output framerate are you using in HandBrake? HandBrake has a smart decimator that may help if you set a constant output framerate. When converting to CFR, HandBrake will preferentially drop duplicate frames when it decides that it must drop a frame in order to match the requested framerate.

So there are 2 experiments you might want to try. First, try decomb *without* bob and 25fps constant framerate. Second try decomb *with* bob and 50fps constant framerate. One or both of those experiments may eliminate the duplicate frames.
derSimon

Post by derSimon »

Intresting. The nightly build (but not 1.07) seems to work quite good, set to 50 fps and yadif/bob. I tried several framerates, but mostly 50 fps, as this is propably the original framerate (or 25i).
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Heh, it's been so long since we've had a release, I forgot that this wasn't added till after 1.0.x was released. So as you observed, it's only in the nightly builds.
derSimon

Post by derSimon »

Thanks for the help. Will be using the nightly build with yafif/bob and set to constant 50fps now. It seems there are still some repeated frames, but very few in scenes with almost no motion.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Great to hear. I knew this was somehow improved in the nightly but I wasn't sure the details, so I'm glad John could point you in the right direction. :D