Subtitles Unreadable when created with handbrake

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
PotatoCarl

Subtitles Unreadable when created with handbrake

Post by PotatoCarl »

Description of problem or question
I convert my DVDs and other media with Handbrake for my Kodi Mediacenter. I always select the Subtitles in different languages to be able to swtich them on or off (NOT burned in). However, they are only shown in any video player as very hard readable opaque subs. I have seen many other files where they are displayed crsip, white with strong contrast.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable)

Rip a DVD. Convert any movie with subtitles selected (not forced, burned in or such)

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0)
Current.

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.3 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update)
Windows 10 x64

Provide a URL from any image hosting site.
http://goo.gl/3WvcTB
(password: handbrake)

Is there any way to modify the appearance of the subtitles? Preferably for a whole bunch of files, as I do not want to recode my quite extensive collection (and certainly don't want to re-rip all my DVDs...)?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Subtitles Unreadable when created with handbrake

Post by Woodstock »

Handbrake is only "responsible" for the appearance of subtitles if you have handbrake burn them in, and then it uses the information the subtitle file itself to control the display.

When you do not burn them in, the subtitle data is passed through to the viewing application, which apparently doesn't like what it got. You might be able to fix that by changing the viewer's subtitle settings. I've noticed that a LOT of viewers suck at rendering SRT and SSA subtitles, which is why I burn them in with handbrake.
PotatoCarl

Post by PotatoCarl »

Well, this hardly explains what I see. I use Kodi 17 (Raspi3), Zoom Player, MX Player (Android) and ALL schow the same bad unreadable subtitles. However, when I download a file with subtitles (MKV Container) from the internet, the Subtitles are clear, white and high contracts. I did not change anything regarding the Subtitles settings.

However, I also noticed when I tried to change anything in the Kodi Subtitle settings (e.g. position, color, size etc.), NOTHING changes with the displayed ones.

I still believe this is a Handbrake problem.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

We need to see an encode log please.
PotatoCarl

Post by PotatoCarl »

How can I generate one of those?
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

PotatoCarl

Post by PotatoCarl »

Ah, activy log, not encoding log. Will do.

Pls. Find it here

https://pastebin.com/kiMYiGzJ
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

[12:28:45] * subtitle track 1, English (track 0, id 0x20bd) Picture [VOBSUB] -> Passthrough
[12:28:45] mask erode thread started for segment 3
The original subtitle is being passed through to the file, so handbrake has no control over its content or display. The VOBSUB subtitle type is an image created by the author to be overlaid on the video, so you'd expect them to have selected the color and background to make it usable.

Given the shear number of subtitles found, though, are you sure you're including the correct ones? On some recent movies, I've found that subtitle 9 or 10 is the correct "English" subtitle, even though 5 or 6 of them SAY they're English.
PotatoCarl

Post by PotatoCarl »

Yes, as I always add ALL subtitles. There is no difference in display for the subtitles. When I play it from DVD, the subs are very readable. Also, it is identical dsiplayed on ALL DVDs and Bluerays I have.

So, how can I make them readable? Preferably without having to rip all my DVDs again...

Well, one more idea, maybe I am thinking this wrong: I ripped the files with AnyDVD first. Is is possible that THERE the problem occurred?

Is is possible to remove the subs with Handbrak then and add other ones? Is there a way to download them somewhere and add them?
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

Either HandBrake didn't copy the vobsub palette the right way, or your player doesn't read the vobsub palette. Can you upload a 10 seconds sample too?
PotatoCarl

Post by PotatoCarl »

Mmh. Any instructions how to do that? From the DVD? The DVD Rip? The Converted File?
Deleted User 11865

Yeah a sample of the file converted from the DVD. So you use the DVD as a source, but instead of encoding the whole feature, you encode by seconds (where you select chapter ranges, you can also switch to frame-based or seconds-based ranges). You want to select a segment where you know there will be subtitle packets in the output.
PotatoCarl

Post by PotatoCarl »

After some trials with different medias, I could identify the problem being when the contents of a DVD/BlueRay is preripped with AnyDVD. AnyDVD has as standard settings "50% Transparency" for subtitles and obivous includes them as graphic layer. This explains the bad quality.

When using Handbrake directly, it works fine as well when the settings in AnyDVD are changed to 0% transparency.

It seems that the subtitle quality with Handbrake is also better, so it was my mistake not to use that option in the first place.

Now, back carrying all the movies from storage and reripping them to get better quality will be a lot of fun :-(

Anyways, thank you for your support.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

You should consider using MakeMKV to rip, then feed the MKV files to handbrake. You can do the rip much quicker when you're not doing the encode at the same time, then handbrake can work its way through the queue.

And if you have multiple drives available, multiple instances of MakeMKV can be run... I go through about 4-12 disks per hour for ripping on a 2-drive system.
PotatoCarl

Post by PotatoCarl »

Thanks for the tipp. I will try that. Hopefully this will take then less time to get my collection back together than the last time - it is rather extensive.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Oh, you said EXTENSIVE, not EXPENSIVE.... Although it was probably both.

I need to stop re-ripping stuff as I find better ways to do it, then I could move all these boxes so I can finally build my office...
PotatoCarl

Post by PotatoCarl »

I can understand that, luckily I have some space in the basement where I can pile up the cartons with all the DVDs and Bluerays. But still, I rather have the disc than have to rely on a streaming provider. You'll never know when they stop existing and all you money goes down the drain.
PotatoCarl

Post by PotatoCarl »

Or you build an office with DVD boxes ;-)
Deleted User 11865

AnyDVD has a "rip to folder" feature too, you don't necessarily need to use MakeMKV. Don't use "rip to image" as it won't necessarily remove all forms of structure-based copy protection and may fail to encode via HandBrake.
PotatoCarl

Post by PotatoCarl »

Now I am totally confused. When using MakeMKV I have all the subtitles in the MKV file. Putting this file through Handbrake removes all subtitles, although they are selected. That is not happening with a AnyDVD Rip. Is this a problem when converting MKV?
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Can you post your logs.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
PotatoCarl

Post by PotatoCarl »

It does not make sense I believe - when I rip now this specific BlueRay with AnyDVD and then go via Handbrake, the subs are gone too.

When I can identify this in detail, I'll post them. Maybe my PC just has a bad day.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Since virtually everything I rip involves subtitles, and everything I rip is done as MakeMKV->Handbrake->server, I know subtitles in general work with this work flow. That's where the logs are going to come in, so we can see what handbrake saw with the AnyDVD rip.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

PotatoCarl wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:40 amWhen I can identify this in detail, I'll post them. Maybe my PC just has a bad day.
It's not that, it's the specific source format/characteristics and selections you made.