Convert only Audio in 10 Bit X265 MKV

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
leemunro

Convert only Audio in 10 Bit X265 MKV

Post by leemunro »

Hi

I have some 400mg video files that are 10 Bit x265 MKV's with OPUS audio, unfortunately my player doesn't support OPUS so all I want to do is convert the audio to something I can play.

My problem is every time I try a 10 Bit conversion with Handbrake Nightly Build 20171103181002, I end up with a file 3.9GB

Is there a way / setting that will leave the video identical to the original and only convert the audio, so I end up with a file around the 400mg as per the original.

I've looked on the net and the advice ranges from use Handrake, or use programs to strip out the audio file, convert the audio file and then remix the video and the new audio file... I have tried a couple of audio converting programs but haven't found one that will deal with 10 Bit X265

If someone can point me in the right direction, that would be great

Many thanks
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Convert only Audio in 10 Bit X265 MKV

Post by Woodstock »

You need a tool that isn't a video encoder. Handbrake is a video encoder that does audio as well.

Fastest would probably be to extract the audio track in question with mkvtoolnix, run it through a program like audacity to convert the format, then merge the result into the final file with mkvtoolnix.

Or learn the syntax to use ffmpeg, since it has the option to not touch the video.
andrewk89
Novice

Post by andrewk89 »

Avidemux http://avidemux.sourceforge.net. It can copy the video stream and transcode the audio stream.
leemunro

Post by leemunro »

Thanks for the replies...

Avidemux seems like the best option for me :D