what is the proper way to save DVD subtitles?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
eugenepik
New User

what is the proper way to save DVD subtitles?

Post by eugenepik »

I have a DVD disk that I'd like to watch on a Windows computer, but that computer has no DVD device.

I'd like to save that DVD into a file using another Windows desktop.

I used "Fast 1080p 30" preset, but not sure if it saves all subtitles with the default options.

Do I need to change the program's defaults to save subtitles located on the DVD to switch them on or off later, while watching the created file?

And another question - there is an option for MKV and MP4 video formats - what should I choose?
BradleyS

Re: what is the proper way to save DVD subtitles?

Post by BradleyS »

The default preset does not save all subtitles, but you can configure the subtitle selection behavior and save a new custom preset to use.

MP4 is more widely supported on devices (Apple, etc.). MKV is more flexible with regard to what can be put inside. If you're only playing back on a computer, VLC media player will happily play either.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: what is the proper way to save DVD subtitles?

Post by Woodstock »

Warning on subtitles - they are complicated, because disk authors love to screw around with them. Not to mention that not all player hardware or software support the extension of DVD subtitles in MP4 files. To make sure you're getting the subtitle tracks you want, in the order you want them available, you should encode short sections and play them back, then encode the whole title with the settings you discovered.

This is where a modified work flow, where ripping is separate from encoding, can be VERY helpful. You can use a tool like MakeMKV or AnyDVD to rip the file to disk, play it with (say) VLC, and document which audio tracks and subtitle tracks you want, before you commit to the encode.

If you get into Bluray, you won't have the option of having multiple subtitle tracks in an MP4 file; there is no extension for BD subtitles in MP4, so you have to chose which track you want to be burned into the video. This is where MKV is superior; it allows many different subtitle types to be included as separate tracks, without burning them into the video.