TrueHD on MKV source file not saved as TrueHD on HandBrake Output file?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Bill-99

TrueHD on MKV source file not saved as TrueHD on HandBrake Output file?

Post by Bill-99 »

Being new to HandBrake, the problem I'm trying to solve is probably a user error so I could use a little coaching.

I have a collection of blu ray disks that I purchased that I'd like to save on disk, both for backup purposes and for usage convenience. My goal is to use good-enough video quality with the best audio available in the source material.

Up to this point, I've used MakeMKV to create a MKV file that seems to be indistinguishable from the original disk, i.e. the video looks perfect and TrueHD audio tracks are captured as TrueHD. (Well, I think so. I'm new to MakeMKV, too.) When using JRiver to play these MKV files, my processor recognizes the audio as TrueHD lossless. Good so far but those files are huge, hence my interest in HandBrake.

Using HandBrake, I've been able to create a variety of MP4 files with varying video quality levels… no problem there. But no matter what I try, I can't seem to get the TrueHD content into the HandBrake output file. Instead, TrueHD is downmixed to a lossy audio format.

Is what I'm trying to do even possible? If so, any guidance on the right process and settings in HandBrake to ensure that TrueHD input yields TrueHD output would be most welcome!

Windows 10 x64
HandBrake Version 1.0.7
MakeMKV Version 1.10.6
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: TrueHD on MKV source file not saved as TrueHD on HandBrake Output file?

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your logs, instructions can be found here:

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/hel ... y-log.html
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

You cannot put TrueHD in an MP4 container. If you want to pass the audio through, you need to use MKV as the output container format.
Bill-99

Post by Bill-99 »

I tried changing from MP4 to MKV and, sure enough, it worked!

Thanks for the help!