Intel Quick Sync Speed

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
iandrews

Intel Quick Sync Speed

Post by iandrews »

Why is there such a big difference between using Intel Quick Sync (H264) on version 0.10 to version 1 (1.0.7). For a HD video (Plex DRV recording to MP4), 0.10 it gives a FPS of around 200, whereas 1.0.7 gives about 70 FPS. Thought I was doing something wrong, but found a youtube video where they test the quick sync of the same cpu I am using (G4560) and they get about 200, but they do also say in the notes that they are using 0.10 because "I am using an older version because the newer versions use a lot of CPU and only a little of the iGPU and are doing the conversion much slower". I also note with 1.0.7 (not sure I checked it with 0.10) that the CPU usage is quite high (about 95%), not sure if it should be as high as that when doing a Quick Sync conversion.

Can anything be done (within settings) to get the FPS back to a higher level.
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Intel Quick Sync Speed

Post by s55 »

It's expected that QSV will be slower in 1.0 due to implementation changes that benefit the HandBrake engine as a whole.

That said, you didn't post a log so I can't say if what your seeing is within expectations or not.
High CPU isn't abnormal. QuickSync only does video, not audio or any of the HandBrake pipeline. At the moment we only support h.264 decoding so your CPU may be decoding as well.
iandrews

Post by iandrews »

Thanks for the quick reply, I will see if I can get some logs tonight / over the weekend.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »