Order of Batch files

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Verement

Order of Batch files

Post by Verement »

Hi, I'm new to Handbrake and I am puzzled by the following.

I have a folder that has 22 episodes of a TV programme. They are named in the following way:

E1 - (name of episode)
E2 - (name of episode) etc. all they way through to E22

However when I do a batch scan the Add to Queue window displays them in a different order, for example:

Title 1 = E1, but Title 2 = E10 (not E2 as I would have expected), it then continues in the same way; Title 3 = E11 and so on through to E19. It then decides that the next one (Title 12) is E2? and continues with the next Title 13 = E20 and so on through to E22.

At which point it then restarts with E3 (marking it as Title 16)!!!

They are all in order in the source folder, why does it change in this way when I add them to the queue?
Hoping for some help or explanation
Thanks all
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Order of Batch files

Post by s55 »

The source folder order is irrelevant. HandBrake is not Windows Explorer and thus has no knowledge of what sort order you view a particular folder in.

If you want to encode in a specific order, you have to manually order them on the queue although it's mostly irrelevant since they'll all be encoded anyway. You'd only do that if you needed an encode done earlier.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

E1
E10
E2

This is actually accurate if you're sorting one character at a time. Some things like Windows Explorer may try to be clever and order number sequences in a more human way, but most things do not.

This is one reason many folks zero-pad their episode numbering to ensure sort order.

E01
E02
E10
Verement

Post by Verement »

Thanks to you both for your replies - makes sense now!
s55 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:14 pm The source folder order is irrelevant. HandBrake is not Windows Explorer and thus has no knowledge of what sort order you view a particular folder in.

If you want to encode in a specific order, you have to manually order them on the queue although it's mostly irrelevant since they'll all be encoded anyway. You'd only do that if you needed an encode done earlier.
BradleyS wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:04 am E1
E10
E2

This is actually accurate if you're sorting one character at a time. Some things like Windows Explorer may try to be clever and order number sequences in a more human way, but most things do not.

This is one reason many folks zero-pad their episode numbering to ensure sort order.

E01
E02
E10