HandBrake fails to launch Win7

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
DoomieSama

HandBrake fails to launch Win7

Post by DoomieSama »

The wheel turns, the program runs according to task manager but nothing happens. Tried fixing .NET Framework, reinstalling the program (also tried Nightly), reinstalling DirectX. Nothing.

This is the WHOLE log:

[23:51:14] hb_init: starting libhb thread

The log before doing any of those reinstalling actions was identical except from the time stamp of course.
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: HandBrake fails to launch Win7

Post by s55 »

Related to viewtopic.php?f=11&t=36537 maybe?
DoomieSama

Post by DoomieSama »

Well, I did check it but I don't have Afterburner nor RivaTurner. I did have it earlier but not anymore. Therefore I'm a bit baffled.
dsc

Post by dsc »

Hi -

I had this issue and like you don't have Afterburner or RivaTuner.

After a lot of surfing and investigation I managed to resolve this. There was an update to .NET to 4.7 on June 14th.

I uninstalled .NET 4.7 and reinstalled 4.62 - and then it worked...

This issue didn't affect my Windows 8 box which also went to .NET 4.7 - only Win7.

Hope this solves the issue for you as well.

Regards.
tallyho2ds
New User

Post by tallyho2ds »

I have used Handbrake for several years and been very happy with it. I tried opening it the other day to work on some video conversions and nothing happened when I double-clicked the icon to start the program. It has always worked in the past. I am running Windows 7 with all updates current.....updates are manually done almost daily. I do not have either Afterburner or RivaTurner on my computer. I have read your postings regarding failure to launch, particularly this one with the .NET Framework references. I have searched my Installed Updates for the .NET 4.7 update (KB 3186497) but it was not listed as being installed. Neither is the .NET 4.6.2 update (KB4620500). I have located the 4.6.2 update on the MS Update Catalog but nothing happens when I click to add it to my basket. What can I do?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

As long as you have .NET 4.6 or later installed, it should work.

We've not seen any other complaints about 4.7 and it works alright for us so we can assume for now that it was a fluke/bad install.

Otherwise, something on your system must be interfering with HandBrake loading. Typically it's being something graphics related. (RivaTuner etc as listed) but it's possible other apps we don't know about are triggering the issue as well. (Could even be screen recording software, or anything that does overlays)

Unfortunately, there is nothing in HandBrake that will tell you what. It's the OS that's crashing, not HandBrake so we can't tell you the source.