RivaTuner / MSI Afterburner Users Please Read

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
s55
HandBrake Team

RivaTuner / MSI Afterburner Users Please Read

Post by s55 »

Symptom
HandBrake will fail to run / open if you have either RivaTuner or MSI Afterburner Installed and running.

Resolution
Add an exception for HandBrake.exe and it should allow the app to launch or simply close both applications and make sure they are not running in the background.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: RivaTuner / MSI Afterburner Users Please Read

Post by mduell »

Probability they read this before posting: near-zero
setzer715
New User

Post by setzer715 »

I read this first! Thanks, Handbrake working again!
olofono
New User

Post by olofono »

How can i do that? Someone can help me pls?
D3Seeker

Post by D3Seeker »

Is there a real reason why this is the case? Or is this a scenario of, It just doesn't work, If you wanna use this software don't have the other thing installed...... You know, details as to why something that shouldn't conflict seems to be causing issue
2mg

Post by 2mg »

Will it fail if it's NOT running (both MSI AB and RTSS)?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

There are potentially other applications which hook Direct 3D that could cause this. These are two ones we know about.

There have also be instances in the past with corrupted system / .NET framework files etc that have caused problems too. Usually those trigger some kind of error though.
Plausiblejosh

Post by Plausiblejosh »

olofono wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:44 am How can i do that? Someone can help me pls?
Anyone going to actually tell us how to do this? It's been a year.
Last edited by Plausiblejosh on Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

s55 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:40 pm Symptom
HandBrake will fail to run / open if you have either RivaTuner or MSI Afterburner Installed and running.

Resolution
Add an exception for HandBrake.exe and it should allow the app to launch or simply close both applications and make sure they are not running in the background.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

One would think that anyone running one of these applications is doing so deliberately, and they would know how to operate it. They might not know about NEEDING to add exceptions, but the program should have a menu item for administering such things.

Of course, in the modern world, people install things because they do not question marketing hype, so they don't even know they have a problematic application installed...
Scryptic
New User

Post by Scryptic »

mduell wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:51 pm Probability they read this before posting: near-zero
I have riva and afterburner installed and I read this. 'Probability' just changed a weee bit. :D
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Still near-zero.
user790

Post by user790 »

Does this still interfere with handbrake? I had an encode going yesterday, and didn't notice any problems between the apps. I opened msi afterburner after the encode was running though. I also closed the app after my game. I don't think it gave me any issues.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Not actually sure. It would appear unlikely as we've not had reports of it in a fair amount of time so it may no longer be an issue
bastocate

Post by bastocate »

Is there a real reason why this is the case? Or is this a scenario of, It just doesn't work, If you wanna use this software don't have the other thing installed.....
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

There was nothing stopping you having rivatuner / afterburner installed. You just couldn't run both HandBrake and them at the same time.

The cause was the way they hook the operating system, was causing breakage in a way that could not be worked around.

As long as there weren't running, or in the tray, it was fine.

Either way, it may no longer be an issue.