Ripping DVD, but no sound

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Hans L

Ripping DVD, but no sound

Post by Hans L »

Please detail your question or problem in as much detail as possible: I ripped one disk, no problems (pic + sound). I ripped the problem disk. Result: video but no sound. I tried default, AC-3 and MP3 under Audio tab, but no change.

The disk's AUDIO_TS looks like this:

ATS_01_0.BUP
ATS_01_0.IFO
ATS_01_1.AOB
ATS_01_2.AOB
ATS_01_3.AOB
ATS_01_4.AOB
ATS_01_5.AOB
AUDIO_PP.IFO
AUDIO_SV.BUP
AUDIO_SV.IFO
AUDIO_SV.VOB
AUDIO_TS.BUP
AUDIO_TS.IFO
AUDIO_TS.VOB
DVDAUDIO.BUP
DVDAUDIO.MKB

There were two titles under Title i Handbrake, a longer, which seemed to be about the songs (and did not work when I clicked on the resulting rip-file) and a shorter, which resulted in the video without sound). Not much more to say, I believe.

Tell us about your environment. What version of HandBrake? What version of Windows are you running. etc.

Handbrake 1.0.7. Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit.

If there was any exception or error displayed, please copy it and paste it here: None

Please include the scan or encode log:

Code: Select all

https://pastebin.com/yhGKgYbF
Would be grateful for help. Thanks!

HassePL
BradleyS

Re: Ripping DVD, but no sound

Post by BradleyS »

AUDIO_TS doesn't have much to do with audio accompanying video on DVDs.

I notice you only have an AC3 (Dolby Digital) track in the output, and I'm guessing your software/device cannot play it. Consider adding stereo AAC audio as the first audio track, or use one of the official presets that does this for you.
Hans L

Post by Hans L »

Thank you, Bradley.

I tried this morning to follow your instructions, but no cigar.

The changes I made was to use Audio > Codec: AAC (avcodec) and > Mixdown: Stereo. The first field in that row has only one option: 1 Unknown (AC3) (2.0 ch). After I clicked Start Encode, I checked Audio again, and then, a second row, looking like this, had been added:

1 Unknown (AC3) (2.0 ch) Codec: AC3 Passthru [v]

I probably did not follow your instructions correctly. I would greatly appreciate some details.

Regards/Hans L
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Try using one of the official presets unchanged. That should give you an idea how things work.

Additionally, the configure audio defaults panel is where you need to make your track changes, then save as a new custom preset. Audio track changes not made in the configure defaults panel are not retained.
Hans L

Post by Hans L »

When you say "Official presets", would you please tell me exatcly which preset you are referring to. Would help me.

Hans L
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Try the HQ 480p30 Surround preset. See https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.0.0/work ... reset.html for how to select a preset.

If the video quality is too high, feel free to lower it. See https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.0.0/work ... ality.html
Hans L

Post by Hans L »

Cigar!!! I have sound. Thank you very much, Bradley. You are the man!

Best regards,

Hans L
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Great, glad you got it working. :)