Question regarding 4k streaming

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Tabur

Question regarding 4k streaming

Post by Tabur »

Hi there! I recently downloaded some 4k videos and want to direct stream to my Vizio M60-C3 UHD TV. The thing is, I don't understand most of the lingo associated with the media (like HEVC, 10-bit, DTS, etc...), but I do understand that in order to avoid transcoding I'll need to encode the files first.

I used Handbrake and worked nicely, but it took 2 days to encode a large video file! Therefore, 2 questions:

1.- Do you know what should I be doing differently? I have a relatively fast computer (i7 6700k and GeForce 980 Ti)
2.- How can I only encode audio? Some of these files can direct-stream the video, but audio is not supported

Thanks!
BradleyS

Re: Question regarding 4k streaming

Post by BradleyS »

We'll need an activity log to see what you're doing. See https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.0.0/help ... y-log.html

HandBrake does not only encode audio. Likewise, it does not use your video card for encoding.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Question regarding 4k streaming

Post by Woodstock »

"Downloaded" 4K files are most often already encoded using h.265 HEVC, to minimize file size. The manual for your TV does not list what standards its online apps can support, which makes it hard to "tweak" for. About the only thing it DID mention was DTS support.