Intel Quick Sync?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Tourniquet

Intel Quick Sync?

Post by Tourniquet »

Heya,

I've got a question. I always used Handbrake with x264 because at the time my CPU was put out Intel Quick Sync was very new and I think it didn't get the best results.

I have:
- i7-2600 S (HD 2000) / i7 - 3770S (HD 4000)

So my question is: Should I switch from x264 to QSV? Would I be able to see a lower picture quality with it?
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Intel Quick Sync?

Post by mduell »

For quick throwaway encodes? Sure maybe.

For anything you care about? No.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

QSV is for quick conversions. To be quick, it makes some compromises.

I found that, for the same RF setting, the QSV encode moved at 7-10 times the frame rate as x264, but the encoded files were at least 5%, and usually 10-15% larger. I'll take the extra time to get the better compression, even if the quality is within reason.

Now, if you want to use Plex to handle things like being able to view a 1080p video on a 1024x768 tablet, that QSV hardware is great for transcoding.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Woodstock wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 12:09 amI found that, for the same RF setting, the QSV encode moved at 7-10 times the frame rate as x264, but the encoded files were at least 5%, and usually 10-15% larger.
You're comparing apples and oranges, since the quality scales aren't the same.
Tourniquet

Post by Tourniquet »

Seems to be very confusing if the RF settings aren't compareable to each other.

Anyway it really seems like to be the best option to keep using x264 :) Thanks a lot :)
tlindgren
Bright Spark User

Post by tlindgren »

Tourniquet wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 9:20 pm Seems to be very confusing if the RF settings aren't compareable to each other.
Not only isn't RF scales comparable between different encoders (x264 vs x265 vs QSV), it's not always comparable between different settings on the same encoder!

If you use the same encoder and don't change settings too much, it's fairly likely to be fairly close in quality but even there there are specific options and speed settings where there will be significant differences from just one single small change.