Pick a specific subtitle and audio

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
kotipelto

Pick a specific subtitle and audio

Post by kotipelto »

Hello,

I am a fairly casual user of handbrake and I need to resolve a very simple matter which I will detail below.

I have multiple .mkv files which contain the following Audio and Subtitle options:

Audio:
1 English
2 Japanese

Subtitles:
1 English (SSA)
2 English (SSA)

I have tried in the GUI in multiple occasions to set the default to always pick Audio #2 (Japanese) as the audio to always be encoded in the final video and the Subtitle to burn in #2 English without success.

My questions for you are:

1) Is there a way to save a preset in the .json file to tell it specifically to default to Audio Japanese and only Japanese? When i tell the default option to pick Japanese it also adds the English audio.

2) Is there a way to burn in the 2nd english subtitle and only this subtitle? There is an option to pick the "first matching selected language", but in my case I would want it to pick the "second matching selected language" or 2nd track.

I can do all these things manually, but since I am trying to encode multiple files, this is not ideal.

I think the answer is writing the specific value I want in the .json file when I save a preset, but I don't quite sure know how to do it and I have not been able to find the answer to this specific question in the forums.

I greatly appreciate your help in advance.

Best Regards,

K
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Pick a specific subtitle and audio

Post by Woodstock »

You can do that with the command line quite easily.

But, don't be surprised if subtitle track 2 is NOT always the right track for audio track 2.