Anamorphic - Custom

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Bigo2
Novice

Anamorphic - Custom

Post by Bigo2 »

Hi I have finally installed 1.0.7.0 version of Handbrake updating form 0.10.5.0. After the bad surprise finding my presets incompatible I started re-creating what I used to have. However, I have found there is no Anamorphic - Custom setting... Searching in the forum I have found that it was disabled for a time being by s55, who said: ...the functionality is temporarily removed as it was broken in 0.10.5. It'll be back when I get time to refactor the code to make it behave better...
Any news concerning this handy function I used in my presets?

One more question: When I start the Handbrake program, everything is greyed out and it looks like nothing works until there is a source file loaded. Is that normal Handbrake behaviour? Can it be changed?

Thanks for any help.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Anamorphic - Custom

Post by Woodstock »

Version 1.x of handbrake makes you select a video source because many of the settings cannot be "active" without something loaded. Old versions would let you make changes without something loaded, but the settings that required a source were "undefined".

So, the answer to your "One more question" is, "Yes, it's normal". And the follow-up is, "No, you can't change it".
Bigo2
Novice

Post by Bigo2 »

Thanks Woodstock it's a reasonable requirement... How about that Custom setting?
andrewk89
Novice

Post by andrewk89 »

I miss Custom. Every once in a while, I come across source files with the wrong aspect ratio. I used to be able to fix it with Handbrake. Now I have to use separate software to fix it either before or after transcoding.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

I can't answer the question on anamorphic settings - they're black magic to me. :)

Seems to me, though, based on s55's comment, it didn't work in 0.10.x, but it let you play with the settings... Which is only marginally different than not being able to play with the broken settings. Except that people can't complain that changing the setting had no effect.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

I think custom anamorphic is not implemented in the windows 1.0 version. It's on s55 to-do list btw.
Bigo2
Novice

Post by Bigo2 »

I personally think that the Anamorphic - Custom setting, was quite important feature - exactly for the reasons adrewk89 mentioned. Since I often need to fix a wrong aspect ratio, for the time being I'm reverting back to the 0.10.5.0 version. Please s55 try to fix it.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Works fine in the CLI... time to upgrade to the good interface.
Bigo2
Novice

Post by Bigo2 »

mduell wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:48 am Works fine in the CLI... time to upgrade to the good interface.
Thanks mduell, but I have never done it. Seems to me insurmountable task...
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Custom anamorphic won't return until we re-do the picture settings pane for 1.1. No ETA but it's not going to be anytime soon. Probably later on this year / early next. We'll see how things go.
Bigo2
Novice

Post by Bigo2 »

s55 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:36 pm ... Probably later on this year / early next. We'll see how things go.
Thank you s55. I'm happy with your answer and I'm looking forward to get it.