How Do I get the Most out of my DJI phantom 4 pro h.265 footage?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
tml4191

How Do I get the Most out of my DJI phantom 4 pro h.265 footage?

Post by tml4191 »

Please detail your question or problem in as much detail as possible:
How do I get the most out of my dji phantom 4 pro footage? Basically, what's the best video settings for the dji p4p video on handbrake? What boxes do I need to untick/tick? I'm new to Handbrake.
Here's my original question from another forum: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/ ... n--106120/

Tell us about your environment. What version of HandBrake? What version of Windows are you running. etc.
Handbrake Version 1.0.3 ( 64 Bit) w/ Vegas Pro 14

Please include the scan or encode log:

Code: Select all

http://pastebin.com/f8mAtu2z
mduell
Veteran User

Re: How Do I get the Most out of my DJI phantom 4 pro h.265 footage?

Post by mduell »

What are your goals?
Why are you processing with HB at all instead of keeping the source footage?
What are your intended playback environments?
Are you a pixel peeper?
What is your tolerance for encoding time?
tml4191

Post by tml4191 »

mduell wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:29 pm What are your goals?
Why are you processing with HB at all instead of keeping the source footage?
What are your intended playback environments?
Are you a pixel peeper?
What is your tolerance for encoding time?
I was told by the vegas forum that handbrake encoding is superior in both quality and encoding times(depending on the settings)
I'm looking to basically just retain the source quality at a lower file size.
I'm not a pixel peeper, but I like the best of what I can get.
I can wait it out, but I'm pretty sure all I have to do is switch the sliders around from fast to slow for encoding time, right?
Basically I'm new to Handbrake, so any input for an optimized dji p4p file will greatly be appreciated.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

The reason for asking your goals is that, what is "best" depends upon what you THINK is best.

For a given person, processing with an RF of 20 could result in a perfectly acceptable reduction of video quality, while another person (the "pixel peeper") would notice that "the blacks aren't the perfect shade of black". And the blacks might not be perfect because the monitor being used to view has the gain turned up too high.

This is where "play" comes into the picture. Take 2 minutes of typical video. Encode it using different presets. View the results. Which is closest to your "best"? Does it still look OK when viewed on a different device?

Once you have that, you can think about tweaking presets to get closer to what you judge to be best.

And you'd be able to show us logs of what you did...
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

The Vegas forum is probably correct in that regard.

With that level of (non-)detail we don't have much to go on. Try the HQ 1080p preset as a starting point.
Twiddle the quality and speed (x264 preset) options from there. Try x265 encoder.
tml4191

Post by tml4191 »

mduell wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:02 am The Vegas forum is probably correct in that regard.

With that level of (non-)detail we don't have much to go on. Try the HQ 1080p preset as a starting point.
Twiddle the quality and speed (x264 preset) options from there. Try x265 encoder.
thanks, but I'm going to need a custom preset as the resolution I'm aiming for is going to be 4096x2160 h.265
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Try the Roku 2160p preset to start with.
tml4191

Post by tml4191 »

rollin_eng wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:52 am Try the Roku 2160p preset to start with.
Thanks. That's what I started off with, but I'm leaning towards a optimal custom preset.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

tml4191 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:46 am
rollin_eng wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:52 am Try the Roku 2160p preset to start with.
Thanks. That's what I started off with, but I'm leaning towards a optimal custom preset.
So what do you need help with then?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Optimal settings vary with the source, even when you know how the source was put together. With the Roku preset, have you identified what you consider to be shortcomings that need to be addressed?