Ryzen 1700x Fails Mkv Encoding 2 Minutes In

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
MisterJitter

Ryzen 1700x Fails Mkv Encoding 2 Minutes In

Post by MisterJitter »

Please detail your question or problem in as much detail as possible:

I am attempting top encode an Mp4 Video over to the 1080p Chromecast Surround preset and the encode causes PC to crash to a black screen.

I have tested known working replacement RAM, as well as the PSU. I AM able to do the encode on my i5 6600k rig with the exact same video and the exact same preset.

I know it is not an overheating issue as HWINFO shows safe temps for the Ryzen 1700x and I am unable to find any relevant logs in the Windows event viewer

Tell us about your environment. What version of HandBrake? What version of Windows are you running. etc.

HandBrake Version: 1.0.3
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 1607

If there was any exception or error displayed, please copy it and paste it here:

Please include the scan or encode log:
Here is the activity log before the crash

http://pastebin.com/HqbZ12Vy

Code: Select all

Paste a log of the scan or encode between these code brackets, or use a pastebin website and provide us with the URL it gives you. 
 Logs are required for all support requests.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Ryzen 1700x Fails Mkv Encoding 2 Minutes In

Post by rollin_eng »

Can you run any other encoding programs on your Ryzen system?
tyw

Post by tyw »

JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

MisterJitter wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:37 am ... and the encode causes PC to crash to a black screen.
This is *always* either a hardware problem, OS problem, or driver problem. It is the responsibility of an OS to ensure that an application can not crash the system. So by definition, this can't be an application problem.

Something you might try is stress testing the system with something like Prime95 or Memtest86. You might also want to try other encoders as rollin_eng suggests as additional stress tests.
tlindgren
Bright Spark User

Post by tlindgren »

JohnAStebbins wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:14 pm
MisterJitter wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:37 am ... and the encode causes PC to crash to a black screen.
This is *always* either a hardware problem, OS problem, or driver problem. It is the responsibility of an OS to ensure that an application can not crash the system. So by definition, this can't be an application problem.
Yep, it should also be mentioned that there's a steady stream of BIOS fixes for Ryzen motherboards, AMD seems to have rushed the launch before the manufacturer were ready. Normally it should be rare that a user would need to update BIOS at all but with Ryzen it's definitely necessary to keep updating (it will quiet down "soon" but it's unclear if we are there yet).

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3180511/ ... mance.html