5 channel audio is not being encoded despite Audio tracks present at start

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
mjur08

5 channel audio is not being encoded despite Audio tracks present at start

Post by mjur08 »

Please detail your question or problem in as much detail as possible:

The output .mp4 or .mkv container file(s), even though their respective source .mkv files have 5.1 and 7.1 audio tracks, do not include the 5.1 audio tracks as they have for months. For some reason, 5.1 channels being included as an AC3 Passthru simply are not there when the file is finished encoding. I cannot figure out why. I have been using AC3 Passthru for months without issue.

A little more detail on process:
First I select my source (file or folder) - (note: each source .mkv file is confirmed to have a 5.1 to 7.1 channel audio track. I confirm this in two places: 1) In the Output Settings within Handbrake under the "Audio" tab - it's using the default Codec setting as an AC3 Passthru. 2) When I import the source .mkv file into Plex, it shows the correct audio track as well there.).
Next, I select my destination. Then, I confirm that the Preset "High Profile" is selected, which is what I have used for months without issue. Finally, I "Add to Queue" and "Start Encode".

Tell us about your environment. What version of HandBrake? What version of Windows are you running. etc.

I am running the latest version of Handbrake on Windows 10 Home.

If there was any exception or error displayed, please copy it and paste it here:

There is no error - the encoded .mp4 or .mkv container simply doesn't include a 5.1 channel audio track, only the 2 channel tracks that were also present on the "Audio" tab when configuring output settings.

Please include the scan or encode log:

Code: Select all

Paste a log of the scan or encode between these code brackets, or use a pastebin website and provide us with the URL it gives you. 
 Logs are required for all support requests.
Pastebin URL: http://pastebin.com/WHuANywi

Thanks to anyone who can help me figure this out.
Deleted User 11865

Re: 5 channel audio is not being encoded despite Audio tracks present at start

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Same issue as viewtopic.php?f=12&t=35987

Depending on how you look at it, it's either a bug or a feature that's been inadvertently removed, when compared to version 0.10.x.

You can mimic the old behavior of AC3 Passthru by using (in the "Configure Defaults" sub-panel):

(1) Auto Passthru as the encoder

(2) AC3 as the only allowed passthru codec (using the checkboxes)

(3) AC3 as the fallback audio encoder (used when the source audio track is not AC3)
mjur08

Post by mjur08 »

Rodeo wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:17 am Same issue as viewtopic.php?f=12&t=35987

Depending on how you look at it, it's either a bug or a feature that's been inadvertently removed, when compared to version 0.10.x.

You can mimic the old behavior of AC3 Passthru by using (in the "Configure Defaults" sub-panel):

(1) Auto Passthru as the encoder

(2) AC3 as the only allowed passthru codec (using the checkboxes)

(3) AC3 as the fallback audio encoder (used when the source audio track is not AC3)
Thank you - this temporarily resolved the issue. Do you know if there is a way to make these settings permanent? Every time I close the app and re-start it, they get reset to the original settings so then I have to go and follow your instructions again.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Configure the audio defaults, then save in a preset.
SnaykeByte

Post by SnaykeByte »

I had the same problem with no apparent way to save the defaults. I just ended up setting the mixdown in the AAC track to 5.1 and saved it in a custom setting, problem solved.