Kaby Lake 1.0.2 Quick Sync not recognized

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Dr. Energy

Kaby Lake 1.0.2 Quick Sync not recognized

Post by Dr. Energy »

Please detail your question or problem in as much detail as possible:

Quick Sync does not seem to be recognized on a 7700K Kaby Lake in Handbrake.

Tell us about your environment. What version of HandBrake? What version of Windows are you running. etc.

1.0.2. Windows 10 64 bit Home

If there was any exception or error displayed, please copy it and paste it here:

QuickSync hardware not detected or enabled!

Please include the scan or encode log:

Code: Select all

http://pastebin.com/9Y4kc7vy
It is enabled in the bios. I updated the driver with the Intel Driver Update Utility.

It appears correctly in the device manager: Proof

What can/should I do to help with getting this fixed? Documentation mentions 'enabling HD' which does not compute - there is no icon in the bottom right of the screen to access the chip's features unlike older products. I do not have any monitors connected to the mobo outputs and naturally use the GTX 1080's that is listed there.

I use Handbrake to shrink MakeMKV rips for a brand new Plex server project on legally-owned DVDs for my wife.
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Kaby Lake 1.0.2 Quick Sync not recognized

Post by s55 »

Your HD graphics isn't active so the hardware isn't available for use. It only activates when there is a monitor connected (or dummy connector), or if your board supports it, lucid logic virtua
Dr. Energy

Post by Dr. Energy »

s55 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:43 pm Your HD graphics isn't active so the hardware isn't available for use. It only activates when there is a monitor connected (or dummy connector), or if your board supports it, lucid logic virtua
Odd, I have never done that for past hardware. OBS seems to be able to use QSV. So only Kaby Lake users that use Intel's GPU by hooking it up to a real or virtual monitor can take advantage of Handbrake's Quick Sync encoding?

I would assume the majority of people that would be able to use it are those who have the newest throwaway laptops or something.

Are there any solutions I could try?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Nope. It's a limitation in MediaSDK and DX9. OBS probably DX11 so won't have the same limitation.

To use it in HB, the hardware must be in an active state. Which means a real or dummy monitor must be attached to it.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

If you previously had Win7 installed, there was a way to activate the hardware without plugging anything into it. Well, it USUALLY worked, but not always, and it doesn't work at all in Win10; Microsoft "fixed" the "bug", which is why Win10 can sometimes scramble your display if you turn a high-resolution monitor off.

I find that having the extra monitor is useful enough that I kept using it long after I gave up on QSV.
Dr. Energy

Post by Dr. Energy »

Unfortunate that work went into something that will not be able to be used by a large portion of users.

Thank you for the information.
MrPromaster

Post by MrPromaster »

Could Handbrake use DX11 to take advantage of HW encoding more easily? why does it use DX9 currently?
trenzterra
New User

Post by trenzterra »

I am having the same problem with a Skylake build. I realise the issue was that my monitor was hooked up via DisplayPort -- whenever this happens, Quicksync somehow cannot be detected. I solved it by plugging it into HDMI instead.

Does this solve your issue too?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Could Handbrake use DX11 to take advantage of HW encoding more easily? why does it use DX9 currently?
Not without dropping support for early QS hardware. We don't have the ability / resources to test multiple implementations so for now, it will remain DX9 and we'll probably switch to DX11 down the line.