Stuck in scan while opening new file

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Error1000

Stuck in scan while opening new file

Post by Error1000 »

Please detail your question or problem in as much detail as possible:

I recently reset my notebook with a fresh Windows install due to a mainboard replacement. After reinstalling Handbrake, the software would suddenly not open files anymore. It starts scanning as usual, but gets stuck at either 90 or 100%, depending on the file. In the log I am told the scan is completed, but the window never closes and I can't move on to the encoding settings.

Tell us about your environment. What version of HandBrake? What version of Windows are you running. etc.

Windows 10 Anniversary Update, Handbrake 1.0.2 (although I also tested several older versions, incl. 0.10.5 and 1.0.0 - same error

If there was any exception or error displayed, please copy it and paste it here:

No error, it just gets stuck.

Please include the scan or encode log:

http://pastebin.com/ekSYD2c8

This is just an example file, I get the same issue with any .mkv or other video file I am trying to open.

I am hoping you can tell me what issue is getting me stuck here. It used to work like a charm before the reinstall, which confuses me even more. Thanks!
Error1000

Re: Stuck in scan while opening new file

Post by Error1000 »

Update: I just tried the oldest version that was still in the archive - 0.9.4. That one worked and scanned as it should! Very strange ..
I then slowly worked my way through the versions. Everything before 0.10.5 works, but 0.9.8 and 0.9.9 give me the following error message (the German bit says illegal character in path):

Code: Select all

An Unknown Error has occured.
System.ArgumentException: Illegales Zeichen im Pfad.
   bei System.IO.Path.CheckInvalidPathChars(String path, Boolean checkAdditional)
   bei System.IO.Path.Combine(String path1, String path2)
   bei HandBrakeWPF.Helpers.AutoNameHelper.AutoName(EncodeTask task, String sourceOrLabelName) in c:\HandBrake\Hudson\workspace\Release_WindowsGui64\0.9.9.1\win\CS\HandBrakeWPF\Helpers\AutoNameHelper.cs:Zeile 149.
   bei HandBrakeWPF.ViewModels.MainViewModel.set_SelectedTitle(Title value) in c:\HandBrake\Hudson\workspace\Release_WindowsGui64\0.9.9.1\win\CS\HandBrakeWPF\ViewModels\MainViewModel.cs:Zeile 695.
   bei HandBrakeWPF.ViewModels.MainViewModel.<>c__DisplayClass1e.<ScanCompleted>b__1c() in c:\HandBrake\Hudson\workspace\Release_WindowsGui64\0.9.9.1\win\CS\HandBrakeWPF\ViewModels\MainViewModel.cs:Zeile 1782.
   bei System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   bei System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
I don't know if the problems are related. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
Error1000

Re: Stuck in scan while opening new file

Post by Error1000 »

So I finally figured out what the problem was and want to share it with you in case someone else has the problem: I had entered illegal characters in the auto-naming field. Apparently, the scanning process includes populating the output name field, so that is why HB got stuck. Once I had cleared the wrong characters, it worked again.