Old dog, new trick. 2 of 8 encodings work

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Mike255b

Old dog, new trick. 2 of 8 encodings work

Post by Mike255b »

First time user. I have ripped some movies to a hard drive using DVD Shrink 3.2, have used this for many years, always worked with old TV. New ROCO TV and I need to change the formats from VOB to MP4. Hand brake was suggested many times in help groups. Tried encoding last night, 2 of the 8 attempts worked. I did mess with some setting to try and learn program. I did reset to original presets, still did not work. file shows up as (file) not MP4.

Using Windows 7 SP 1, Intel processor, 4GB ram, 64 bit OS. Handbrake 1.0.2 (2017012200) 64bit

No error messages

[https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wpdbvr2irqgi ... DA9Ha?dl=0]

Hope I've done this right. Thank you for your help and patients.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Old dog, new trick. 2 of 8 encodings work

Post by mduell »

There's a bunch of files here, which do you regard as working vs not?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

"Didn't work" probably means that your player can't find the files, because they do not have a file extension. Probably, if you rename the file "C:\Users\Mike\Desktop\MP4\Magnificant 7" to "C:\Users\Mike\Desktop\MP4\Magnificant 7.mp4", it will work.

Were you using "batch add" to put the files in the queue?
Mike255b

Post by Mike255b »

The only 2 that encoded were Jason Bourne and Bad Moms.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

The logs say that the encodes completed. Well, the Magnificant 7 encode was aborted, but the file was written out as far as it got.

The problem looks like you are not getting file extensions on your files. Explorer looks at the file extension to say what type file it is, which is why it shows "file" instead of "mp4" as the type of "C:\Users\Mike\Desktop\MP4\Magnificant 7". The same for "C:\Users\Mike\Desktop\MP4\Bridget Jone Baby"
Mike255b

Post by Mike255b »

Finally figured out how to do a screen shot. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/965 ... enshot.pdf
Mike255b

Post by Mike255b »

Woodstock, I think I see what you are saying. In the Destination box, when I entered the file name, I probably did not include the extension. I will give that a try. I may have been confused by the output setting container box, thinking it would automatically add it based on my selection.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

I generally allow handbrake to attempt automatic naming of files, which usually takes care of adding the extension. I can still edit the output path, but it's pre-formed to "work".

In Tools->Preferences, Output files, under "File Format", using the keyword "{source}" will create the file name with the name of your source file, with the appropriate extension for your output file type, if "Automatically name output files" is checked. This only happens when you open the source file, or change they output file type.
Mike255b

Post by Mike255b »

Everything working great now. THANK YOU, Woodstock