Clarification on including foreign language subtitles

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
jrbilodeau

Clarification on including foreign language subtitles

Post by jrbilodeau »

Hi,

I'm currently using 1.01 64 bit, and I have a question about including foreign language subtitles.
Up until now, i've alway simply ripped the one english audio track using pass through, and the english subtitle track that when along with it.
I usually don't use the subtitle, except on occasion, for example when my kids are sleeping and I keep the audio low, then i'll enable the subtitles so i don't miss anything. I mainly just do this for movies where the volumes varies from quite to really loud.

Anyway, I realized that in movies where foreign audio parts automatically show up in english, they don't show up when the subtitle are off in my handbrake rips, but they show up in dvd's or bluray's. I've read up a bit, and found out that there are some movies that force certain parts of subtitles.

I've tried a few things in handbrake to get this working as desired, but am having some issues. Is there a way without burning in the forced foreign audio subtitles to have them automatically show up. btw i'm using mkv, and i've been testing this with x-men first class on bluray simply ripping chapter 2 as a test.

Here is what i've tried.

On the subtitle tab, i've added Foreign Audio Scan and checked Forced Only and Burn in, I've also added the English subtitle, but with no options checked. This showed the foreign subtitles as desired, but when i enable the english subtitles, then double up on the screen....which i'd like to avoid.

Next I tried adding Foreign Audio scan and checking only Default, then adding English subtitles with no options checked. I read on a blog, that this would automatically show foreign audio subtitles without burning them in, but seem to do nothing when i play it back in vlc. The english subtitles show fine when enabled, but i don't want to always need subtitles on just so i don't miss something.

Finally i tried adding Foreign Audio scan and checking Forced only as well as Default, then adding English subtitles with no options checked. This also seemed to have the same effect as the previous setting when no foreign audio subtitles appear unless I enable the english subtitles.

so to reiterate the question...is it possible to force foreign language subtitles without burning them in, or having to always enable the entire subtitle track?

Thanks
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Clarification on including foreign language subtitles

Post by Woodstock »

I would suggest you forget that "forced only" exists - it's all but useless because of the way disks are authored. Well over 95% of my collection is non-English sourced, and I have encountered ONE title, Avatar, that actually uses the "forced" flag for subtitles. Everything else has been a separate track for the "forced" subtitles, or just one track with everything.

Example: Star Trek Beyond has subtitles for IMPORTANT alien dialect, but they're part of the video, not a separate subtitle track.

There used to be a "sticky" message here describing all the variations of subtitles, but it's not "sticky" anymore, and I have not found it recently. It was long and winding, but covered most of the things you're going to see.
jrbilodeau

Re: Clarification on including foreign language subtitles

Post by jrbilodeau »

Too bad the sticky isn't up anymore, I would have taken the time to read it to get a better understanding of it.

I did however make some progress, which funny that you mention not to use forced only, because it worked in this case.

So ripping x-men first class from bluray (which i own), on the subtitle tab, i used foreign audio scan with forced only and default checked, then i also added English (PGS) (There was only one english track) and no options checked.

I know i originally said that I tried this and it didn't seem to work, but i basically tested every combination and this time it did. I think what may have happened, it that when using vlc, if i skip ahead in the movie the subtitles take a bit of time before they start appearing again.

Anyway, so if I understand correctly, sometime in dvd's and blurays foreign audio subtitle may be burned into the video, sometimes they are in a separate audio track (in which case, you just to to use trial and error to find the correct one, and check off Default), and in more rare cases some use forced subtitles in which case that also need to be checked.

So for the 2nd case, do you still use foreign audio scan, or just try every subtitle option until you find the correct one?

Thanks