Framerate Shaper ?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Semel

Framerate Shaper ?

Post by Semel »

What is this exactly?

Is it some avisynth script or something?

This is what I got in my log
+ Framerate Shaper (mode=1:rate=27000000/1080000)
[14:21:36] + frame rate: 50.000 fps -> constant 25.000 fps
But there is not much else..

If it's avisynth script could someone tell me what it looks like?

I suppose it's ChangeFps (27000000, 1080000) ?
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Framerate Shaper ?

Post by mduell »

It's not avisynth, I think it's avfilter.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Custom implementation actually. not avfilter.

HandBrake doesn't use AviSynth.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

The framerate shaper filter does a couple of things. First, it drops or duplicates frames if you have selected constant or peak frame rate settings. Second, it smooths out the framerate of telecined video which is uneven due to how telecine works.
Semel

Post by Semel »

Ah I see. Thanx for the explanation.

Although I had to enable detelecine to get a completely smooth playback when dealing with a "complex' source. 25 fps material was captured at 60 fps (there were reasons for this..) and then I needed it be encoded at 25 fps. I tried different tools and at first I though just using fps filter was enough but when I started watching the whole video I noticed some micro stuttering here and there, so then I tried using other different filters and adding a simple detelecine(default) helped to completely eliminate this problem. ;)
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

There are pending improvements to the vfr file that may fix issues with upsampled framerates such as yours without the need to jump through hoops. I can't tell if it applies to your scenario without an activity log though.
Semel

Post by Semel »

JohnAStebbins wrote:There are pending improvements to the vfr file that may fix issues with upsampled framerates such as yours without the need to jump through hoops. I can't tell if it applies to your scenario without an activity log though.
Nice ;)

Anyways, I was too optimistic tbh. It looks like there are still micro stutters here and there and it seems enabling detelecine even increased them .Still, atm this shaper does a really good job at fixing messed up files like I have ;)

Btw, does 2 pass encoding increase effectiveness(helps to determine better duplicate frames) of framerate shaper compared to crf encoding?

Thanx
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Semel wrote: Btw, does 2 pass encoding increase effectiveness(helps to determine better duplicate frames) of framerate shaper compared to crf encoding?
nope