v1.0.1 Bug?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
KaraokeAmerica

v1.0.1 Bug?

Post by KaraokeAmerica »

I think I found a bug.....or at minimum an annoyance.

Prior to v1, when you started Handbrake it would be at the GUI waiting for you to do something. Starting with v1 it defaults into the "Open Source" screen. Then if you choose the drive you want to scan, it no longer allows you to type or copy/paste into the output file path. It FORCES you to let the scan finish. The issue with this is that if there is nothing in that path, Handbrake enters no output file name.

So....what you have to do is let it scan, THEN enter the path, then re-scan so Handbrake does it OR type in a file name manually. Either way that is annoying. It was much better before when I could enter the path WHILE it was scanning the source or simply enter the path prior to the media scan even starting.

I did search the settings to see if this was something I could turn off or change, but I don't see anything like that. Am I the only one that noticed this or is there a solution that I couldn't find?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help

I am running version 1.0.1 of Handbrake and Windows10-64
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: v1.0.1 Bug?

Post by s55 »

Tools -> Options -> Output Files
Set a default path in there and AutoName will pre-populate the destination.

Otherwise, it will leave it blank. Why are you trying to populate it before scanning a source? That doesn't make much sense?
KaraokeAmerica

Post by KaraokeAmerica »

Yes, I can put in a "default" path, but I rip my disks to multiple locations so I have never used it. I simply start the scan, find the appropriate path in Windows Explorer during that time, then copy/paste the path into Handbrake before it's done, allowing me to multitask. Handbrake then just enters the file name. It's a step-saver, especially when you are ripping multiple disks.

Using the "default path" option is kind of a workaround, but I still have to wait until a scan is done before I can put in the correct path using that method.

Like I said, it's an annoyance for me, but I can't figure out any reason why you would all of a sudden be locked out of typing in that path line during the scan. It worked fine in v.9X. Was it a code thing that mandated this change? Is it a perceived improvement in workflow by devs? Why change it? Even if someone didn't opt to use it, what problem was it causing to have options?

Thanks for the reply!
KaraokeAmerica

Post by KaraokeAmerica »

Has anyone else noticed these changes?

Am I the only one that liked the old way better......;)
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

I think the real complaint is that the scan process is what used to be called "modal", in that nothing else can be done while it is going on.

In the past, parts of the user interface could be used while the scan went on; just the pull-downs that were populated by the scan's information were unavailable. Now, nothing is available until it completes.
KaraokeAmerica

Post by KaraokeAmerica »

Woodstock wrote:I think the real complaint is that the scan process is what used to be called "modal", in that nothing else can be done while it is going on.

In the past, parts of the user interface could be used while the scan went on; just the pull-downs that were populated by the scan's information were unavailable. Now, nothing is available until it completes.
Yes.....very annoying. You can't do anything without being forced to scan the media completely first. Even if you cancel that all options are greyed out.

I am also having an issue where it scans subtitles on every disk by default. Never did that in prior versions. Even if I try to save a default setting they are there. I uninstalled and went back to v.10.5 and it goes away as well as gives me back the ability to edit fields any time, even during a scan.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Yes.....very annoying. You can't do anything without being forced to scan the media completely first. Even if you cancel that all options are greyed out.
This is the correct behaviour. Many of the controls require data from the scan, so the user can not reliablly set things up before the scan. Too many people got caught out with odd behaviour so it's now modal to prevent it.
I am also having an issue where it scans subtitles on every disk by default. Never did that in prior versions. Even if I try to save a default setting they are there. I uninstalled and went back to v.10.5 and it goes away as well as gives me back the ability to edit fields any time, even during a scan.
This, this is also correct. It's part of the default set of presets. Turn off Foreign Audio scan on the subtitles tab if you don't want it. Svae your own presets that meet your own needs.
KaraokeAmerica

Post by KaraokeAmerica »

s55 wrote:
This is the correct behaviour. Many of the controls require data from the scan, so the user can not reliablly set things up before the scan. Too many people got caught out with odd behaviour so it's now modal to prevent it.
This, this is also correct. It's part of the default set of presets. Turn off Foreign Audio scan on the subtitles tab if you don't want it. Svae your own presets that meet your own needs.
I hear what you're saying and appreciate the response. However, I had been using it for years with nary an issue before the modal "feature" was added. How did it become a problem all of a sudden?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

It's not a new problem. People have complained about it for years and it's only been getting worse as features get changed/improved. Particularly as the Windows UI has caught up with the MacGUI.
So a lot of UI/UX problems were tackled with the last release.
KaraokeAmerica

Post by KaraokeAmerica »

Fair enough. I never had any issues prior but not being able to even enter a destination path prior to scan is still quite annoying. I guess I was lucky for years....;(