How does HB determine original video dimensions?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Shane
Novice

How does HB determine original video dimensions?

Post by Shane »

I've noticed that when I'm working with DVD rips and try to change the pixel size and set a pad using the CLI version of HB that I have to first throw the original file in the GUI version of HB to get the correct dimensions as a base to adjust from. If I scan the original with anything else such as MediaInfo it shows one thing, but HB shows something different which seems to be the correct size in terms of manual resizing.

I'm curious as to the technical reason why DVD files show up this way in HB. They are the only files it does this with when I have Anamorphic set to 'None'.
Deleted User 11865

Re: How does HB determine original video dimensions?

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Because DVDs are anamorphic (non-square pixels), because anamorphic none means convert to square pixels, and the graphical user interface doesn't let you upscale. The Linux GUI will allow you to "upscale" up to 854x480, but others will not.
Shane
Novice

Post by Shane »

Thanks Rodeo. I didn't know about the non-square pixel thing.

I use the CLI version of HB and set a 16:9 pad and upscale the original dimensions using this CL for Bluray Compliance . . .

Code: Select all

handbrakecli -i original.mkv -o output.mkv --pad width=1920:height=1080 --custom-anamorphic --width 1773 --height 1000 --crop 0:0:0:0 --rate 23.976 --cfr --no-decomb --no-detelecine --deblock 5 --no-grayscale --encoder x264 --encoder-preset veryslow --encoder-level 4.1 --quality 23 --encopts bluray-compat=1:vbv-maxrate=15000:vbv-bufsize=15000:keyint=24:open-gop=1:slices=4:colorprim=bt709:transfer=bt709:colormatrix=bt709
I have to set it to --custom-anamorphic and use the 720 x 406 dimensions that the GUI version reports as my starting base otherwise the video comes out too tall. When I select anamorphic in the GUI version it shows the resolution as 720 x 480 so I'm a bit confused why it would show 480 with anamorphic settings in the GUI version but I have to use the 406 setting in the CL version when using anamorphic. Hope that came out right. :)

But at least I've got it to the point where I know what I have to do to get it all to come out properly and I've been getting some excellent results using the CLI version. One tiny thing I did run in to is, at one point, no matter what I set the w x h to it would not come out right. In the end I ended up deleting the CLI version and downloading it again and then it started working. I don't know if something became corrupted because of my system or a bug, but I thought it was worth mentioning. I sat here ripping my hair out for hours yesterday until out of desperation I deleted and reinstalled it. I felt like Clark Griswold when he finally got the Christmas lights working. :)

I need to start figuring out audio CL's now because I do not like the default AAC results.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

That height and width doesn't seem right, even with padding at least one of them should be full frame dimension?
Shane
Novice

Post by Shane »

mduell wrote:That height and width doesn't seem right, even with padding at least one of them should be full frame dimension?
I like to shrink DVD rips just a bit, I don't mind the small black border. Well, technically I'm enlarging them from the original size, but not to the maximum. It makes them appear a little sharper to me, especially when using deblock. I've gotten some excellent results.