non techie has no idea what she's doing right.

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
brellyn

non techie has no idea what she's doing right.

Post by brellyn »

Please detail your question or problem in as much detail as possible:
So, I just specify an input 1080p .MKV file, change the output container to .MKV, and specify the output file name and hit start. I make no other changes. The process runs and completes just fine. The only visual difference I can see is the removal of the top and bottom black bars. Yet, the file size of the output is drastically smaller but the video is still 1080p. How can you 'crush' a video from 17gb to 4gb and it doesn't look any different? Is Handbrake simply that awesome or am I doing something right and just not techie enough to understand it?

Tell us about your environment. What version of HandBrake? What version of Windows are you running. etc.
Handbrake 0.10.5
Operating System - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU - Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07GHz Bloomfield 45nm Technology
RAM - 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (7-7-7-20)
Graphics - 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (ZOTAC International)
Storage - 232GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (SSD Boot Drive)
- 931GB Western Digital WDC WD1002F9YZ-09H1JL0 (SATA data drive)

If there was any exception or error displayed, please copy it and paste it here:
No errors, no real "problem".
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: non techie has no idea what she's doing right.

Post by Woodstock »

Compressing video varies in its "efficiency". A 4.7GB anime episode can become 1GB (around 20% of original) very easily, but that's because anime is relatively simple. Take an action movie with lots of detail, and it might only compress to 70% of original.

As for not posting any logs, there is no way for anyone to say what you're "doing right", because we don't know what you've done.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Your source was not well compressed.
brellyn

Post by brellyn »

mduell wrote:Your source was not well compressed.
I think this is the "answer" I was looking for. Digging into your suggestion, MakeMKV doesn't compress at all. It's just a raw dump from the media to .MKV so the file sizes are huge. Handbrake is now a key part of my ripping process. This saves me from buying another NAS device. Thanks for putting me on the right track and saving me a lot of cash. :D
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Thanks for putting me on the right track and saving me a lot of cash.
No, it just feeds the addiction by stealth. :twisted: You still end up buying a shed ton of Hard disks. You just end up with a larger calaog of stored content :roll:
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

brellyn wrote:
mduell wrote:Your source was not well compressed.
I think this is the "answer" I was looking for. Digging into your suggestion, MakeMKV doesn't compress at all.
MakeMKV is copying the already-compressed files off the Blu-ray. If they were truly not compressed, they would be terabytes per movie.

But the priorities and constraints for compressing for Blu-ray at the authoring houses are very different than the priorities and constraints you have for files on your NAS.
Shane
Novice

Post by Shane »

brellyn wrote:MakeMKV doesn't compress at all. It's just a raw dump from the media to .MKV so the file sizes are huge.
It is a great program. I have two programs I bought to do what MakeMKV does before I discovered it and now I only use MakeMKV.

I've noticed that if it's a newer film captured completely on digital it will compress far better than a traditionally transferred film that is scanned.

I'm assuming it's because there are no artifacts such as film grain and other things going on in every frame that we can't necessarily perceive but are there that Handbrake can perceive? I don't really know.

But I do know I can take a two hour and twenty minute long movie that is 35GB and compress it down to a 3.2GB file and see no perceptible different between the two while an older shorter length film of the same file type that is 25GB will only compress down to 4GB with the same settings in Handbrake.

Handbrake does do an incredible job with compression. I've tried a lot of compression software and even paid quite a bit for a couple and none of them can compare to Handbrake with very few exceptions.