help convert my library h264 to h265

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
gatto012

help convert my library h264 to h265

Post by gatto012 »

hi

i'm looking for convert some 720p/1080p rip h264 to codec h265 with handbrake

i'm looking a good setup for no perceptible quality loss, with a small birate/file size thanks h265 codec

in the faq, especially " Costant Quality " guide, i read:
x264 Recommended Quality RF Value

High Definition (e.g Blurays 720/1080)
Use an RF value of 22 +/- 1
Since HD sources are typically quality, you can get away with a slightly higher RF value than SD content without any perceived difference in quality.
but the FAQ speaking abuot H264

For H265, values suggested are good to obtain same target?

Are there settings good to optimize as well as RF VALUE?

Thank you for help
Deleted User 13735

Re: help convert my library h264 to h265

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Third generation renders are not recommended, nor would they save you much space without degradation.
gatto012

Post by gatto012 »

i know any re-encoding have a degradation

i mean something good, not perfection ( like no difference frame-by-frame )

the best solution among preserve quality and save space
Deleted User 13735

I guess I should have explained myself a little better.
h264 is already highly compressed. Therefore, the downstream compression-to-quality ratio for a second generation render is quite low to begin with.

The first rule of compression is, "You can't make a silk purse from a pig's ear."

The best solution is to re-rip your original discs. so you are encoding to an interframe lossy codec only once.
Just my opinion you understand -- there is no correlation, so if you are looking for a magic RF number for h264 to h265, you will have to test that yourself. Be sure to post back your results.
bucaneiro

Post by bucaneiro »

Let's see if my bad english can help you.

for 1080p
Better source is the bluray iso, dvd, normaly 24 to 30 GB.

- When you encode from this source you can use 900 2 pass medium (slow would be better) for quality with the small file.
- 1500 2 pass medium (again if can use slow) for good quality
- 18 CRF if you really like the movie, size gonna be high but the best quality space;
- 22 CRF for good quality with small size;
- 24 CRF best smalll size with quality, above this you lose quality beyond aceptable, for me;

When the source is a reencode release with 8 to 14 gb you already lose some quality, aply same thing above.

Releases (torrents) with low birtrate are very carefull planned, thats why they have good quality with small size. When you reencode from this you will lose even more quality, soo in this case use 1000 2 pass medium for small or 1500 2 pass medium. CRF in this cases preserve almost always same size.

720p
Always use slow if you have a i7, use 2 pass to obtain small size files. Soo, 40 minutes 5.1 audio can have 250mb for good quality and 350mb for better. Something between 600 to 900 according with the episode.
CRF gonna be according what you would like in terms of quality, in case of lots of change, movement, you will end up with big size files.

If the source is with too much noise you gonna need aply a filter, theres two:

NLMeans : very slow with very good result.
hqdn3d : very fast but great lost of quality.

I use Light NLMeans for very noise film / ultralight for a small noise film
And when the movie is heavly noise i use hqdn3d medium.

You need get lost of the noise, noise make you file size big without quality. But when you aply a filter you lose quality, soo you don't want a movie with 0 noise because gonna look artificial. You gonna use on animes like because noise filter gonna make even better them the original.

Audio 5.1 use 192 for shows and 256 for movies and if you really like the sound quality, or the movie, go for 640 AAC.

A tip for time, size and quality, encode only 1 or 10 minutes to preview the most close size and the quality as too know how much time gonna take to encode. That way you always gonna know best setting for a movie.

The movies that i just want to watch i encode on 1000 or 1500 1 pass medium, the ones i like i try keep the size between 2,5gb to 5gb because i always gonna watch again.

Low them 720p x265 do a bad job, it's really bad, i dont recommed, except for animated he can correct noise animes and make it really good. Done this to a pink panther with 70 mb episode very noise and got a ver clear 23mb. But becareful too much denoise you gonna get ghosts, NLMeans medium source animated is good.

Hope to help with this horrible english, it's not perfect but it's a way to evolve from in some direction.
Deleted User 13735

Releases (torrents) with low birtrate are very carefull planned, thats why they have good quality with small size.
Oops!
gatto012

Post by gatto012 »

thanks you very much for the infos

btw, i can't resume only about 30-40% of sources for my rips ( bluray + some copy 1:1 from hdd + some old rec mpeg2 like family videos ect... )

that's why i was looking for re-encoding durectly from actual rips i have
the mission was compact all my library ( with some free space for future ) and to gather all ( dvd, bd, hdds ect... ) in my FreeNas 3TB raid
Connect it in my home lan, i was excited to have access from mobile, TVs and pc, streaming my videos and downloading my docs everywhere.

It's a long work, and not sure it's worth
Deleted User 13735

3TB of extra storage is cheap.
What's a month of your time worth?
bucaneiro

Post by bucaneiro »

Use plex for acess as media server, you can edit and name you videos, personal, and he gonna search for you blue ray backups. But i think for the acess from everywhere you gonna need a subscription or buy the android app.

Home videos must have lots of grain and noise, make the 10 minutes video before encode everything, use lots of denoise filters configuration to see the best.