Picture Cleanup Options

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
maiki
Enlightened

Picture Cleanup Options

Post by maiki »

Using the latest version of HB, and the latest Windows GUI (in XP).

In the "Picture Settings" tab, there are four settings: Detelecine, Deblock (both check boxes), Deinterlace, and Denoise (the last two drop-down boxes, with various choices).

The default seems to be that all these options are turned off.

With other encoding programs I have used, the program analyzes the source video, and makes a recommendation, regarding whether or not to detelecine and deinterlace.

When HB lists "none" for all those features, does it mean it has analyzed the video and is suggesting that all those features be turned off, or does it always default to "none" for all four?

If the latter, I would suggest for a future version, that you add such an analysis and recommendation by the program. I'm sure that some users would know on their own whether or not to use these features, from looking at the source video, but many of us do not, and it would be good if the program analyzed the source and made a recommendation.

In the meantime, can people suggest--how should one determine--whether or not to use any or all of these four "cleanup" features? If Deinterlace and/or Denoise is used, how to choose between the various settings?

Thank you in advance.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: Picture Cleanup Options

Post by jbrjake »

maiki wrote:With other encoding programs I have used, the program analyzes the source video, and makes a recommendation, regarding whether or not to detelecine and deinterlace.
Really? What "other encoding programs" might that be? I've never seen an app that can tell whether NTSC video is hard telecined or interlaced short of walking the whole thing with a stateless IVTC filter.

Or are you talking about soft telecining with repeat flags, being turned on depending on whether or not the source displays progressive flags? That's already handled by using Same as Source fps.
I'm sure that some users would know on their own whether or not to use these features, from looking at the source video, but many of us do not
There is no way to know except looking at the source, and if you don't know what to look for, well, that's why I link to many great resources on telecining in the documentation and have discussed it several times here on the forum.
If Deinterlace and/or Denoise is used, how to choose between the various settings?
Perhaps by RTFM?
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

jbrjake wrote:
maiki wrote:With other encoding programs I have used, the program analyzes the source video, and makes a recommendation, regarding whether or not to detelecine and deinterlace.
Really? What "other encoding programs" might that be? I've never seen an app that can tell whether NTSC video is hard telecined or interlaced short of walking the whole thing with a stateless IVTC filter.
My money is on Nero Recode, which does pretty much that - except it's more of a statistical sampling and in no way approaches anything sane like VFR. There's no way a "one size fits all" scan solution like Nero will ever work well for anything other than pure-film or pure-interlaced NTSC content.

Rodney
maiki
Enlightened

Post by maiki »

rhester wrote:
jbrjake wrote:
My money is on Nero Recode, which does pretty much that - except it's more of a statistical sampling and in no way approaches anything sane like VFR. There's no way a "one size fits all" scan solution like Nero will ever work well for anything other than pure-film or pure-interlaced NTSC content.

Rodney
Yes--Nero Recode is one program I've seen, that analyzes the source video, and makes a recommendation regarding deinterlacing or not.

Another one is AutoGordianKnot: http://www.autogk.net, another open source video encoding program.

I believe the program Fair Use Wizard does this as well, and I think there are others.

One can always override the recommendation, but for those of us who are not video experts, having a recommendation to start with can be helpful.
maiki
Enlightened

Post by maiki »

jbrjake wrote: There is no way to know except looking at the source, and if you don't know what to look for, well, that's why I link to many great resources on telecining in the documentation and have discussed it several times here on the forum.
In one page in the documentation, I saw that it is recommended to use the Preview feature to determine whether interlaced or not. Unfortunately, that Preview feature doesn't seem to exist in the Windows GUI.

If Deinterlace and/or Denoise is used, how to choose between the various settings?
jbrjake wrote: Perhaps by RTFM?
I have no idea what you mean by RTFM.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

maiki wrote:Yes--Nero Recode is one program I've seen, that analyzes the source video, and makes a recommendation regarding deinterlacing or not.

Another one is AutoGordianKnot: http://www.autogk.net, another open source video encoding program.

I believe the program Fair Use Wizard does this as well, and I think there are others.

One can always override the recommendation, but for those of us who are not video experts, having a recommendation to start with can be helpful.
Well, as I explained above, HandBrake does this for you automatically. As far as I know, all AutoGK and those other apps are telling you is whether a source is at video or film speed. This is what Same as Source does in HandBrake. It has nothing to do with interlacing, because video isn't always interlaced -- often it's hard telecined film. This means turning on interlacing whenever the source reports as NTSC video is *wrong* because it's not always what you want to do. And like I said, I'm aware of no application which *can* tell whether and where an NTSC video source is telecined or interlaced short of walking the whole file with an ivtc filter.

As far as looking at the content to tell if it's interlaced or not -- you're seriously telling me you have no other way of playing DVD video on your computer besides HandBrake? You can do this in *any* video player.

I know having to look at a source is not optimal. I'm working on it. You can follow it in the Dev forum. It's taken months and it will take more months, because what has to happen is the source has to be walked with an ivtc filter. Then the parts that don't get pulled up have to be identified as video or film, and then the interlacing has to be undone just for the remaining video parts. All this has to happen on the fly, or eddyg's deep scan work needs to be seriously expanded. It sounds pretty easy, but actually getting ito work where everything plays smoothly at its natural rate and the audio stays syncd is very difficult (at least with my meager skills in this area).

RTFM means "Read the Fscking Manual" because I went through the trouble of explaining each of the deinterlacing and denoising settings there so that people wouldn't ask about them here:

http://handbrake.m0k.org/trac/wiki/Pict ... gs#Denoise
http://handbrake.m0k.org/trac/wiki/Dein ... nterlacing
maiki
Enlightened

Post by maiki »

Thank you for the links with info on Denoise and Deinterlacing.

What about the Deblock option, in that same tab? When would one use that? (I searched, and was not able to find info on it.)