Determining Bit Rate

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
chashock

Determining Bit Rate

Post by chashock »

I am new to video encoding and learning a lot from the forums and the documentation provided for Handbrake. I appreciate all the hard work done on this software.

There are references made in several forum posts to using CQR w/CRF to determine the bitrate to use in a two-pass ABR setting, but I have been unable to find out how to do this, either in a forum post or in the documentation anywhere. I have found through searching Google a lot of discussion that makes basically no sense to me, but I found an MSDN post that says finding the average bitrate is as simple as

(file size / duration) * 8 (for bits).

That seems too simplistic to me. Is it really that easy or am I missing something? Is there some piece of the documentation I've missed that covers this?

Thanks for the time.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: Determining Bit Rate

Post by jbrjake »

chashock wrote:I found an MSDN post that says finding the average bitrate is as simple as

(file size / duration) * 8 (for bits).
And indeed it is.

Bitrate: bits per second.
File size: bits per second times the number of seconds.

You can also get the exact bitrate from the verbose logging at the end of an encode, or by playing the output video in QuickTime.