Blu Ray decode

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
eeessttaa

Blu Ray decode

Post by eeessttaa »

Ok so original credit goes to "Mike admin" link to his guide is: http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7010

This currently does work as for me. (2/12/16).

So to decode blu ray in handbrake you first need to get handbrake(duh) and also download the latest version of makemkv(http://www.makemkv.com). After installing it go to the makemkv install folder(usually C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV\)

Copy the file libmmbd64.dll(or libmmbd.dll if for some strange reason you are using 32 bit). To your handbrake folder(usually C:\Program Files\Handbrake).

After copying the file into handbrake rename it to "libbdplus.dll". and then copy the libmmbd64 into handbrake again but rename this one "libaacs.dll"

Launch handbrake and you should be good to go. If you have any questions or if my writing sucks you can view the original guide. the link is in the top of this comment.
Last edited by eeessttaa on Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 13735

Re: Blu Ray decode

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

That's an eight year-old thread.
Is this actually valid with current MakeMKV and Handbrake .10.3?
Bjomesphat

Post by Bjomesphat »

The thread is from 2013.

I'd actually be curious if it works with Kodi.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

The problem with this is that it might work today but there is no guarantee that this will work tomorrow.

I also assume that you have to upgrade the dll's as new protection schemes come out.

If you have makemkv it's probably better to use it as a ripper and HB as an encoder rather than trying to mash them together.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

I've been planning on putting app verification in which will stop this from working. It's not officially supported and should not be used.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

s55 wrote:I've been planning on putting app verification in which will stop this from working. It's not officially supported and should not be used.
It seems that this and libdvdcss are a pain, is it a lot of work to block or ignore them?
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

s55 wrote:I've been planning on putting app verification in which will stop this from working. It's not officially supported and should not be used.
This might break multilib x265, assuming someone would ever bother to make it work under Windows?

FWIW, it should be reasonably trivial to patch dvdread/nav to not attempt and use dvdcss :)
eeessttaa

Post by eeessttaa »

Probably should've started out the post with saying it works. . .

Sorry for the slow response. The reason i wrote this guide was because it worked for me so i felt like sharing :) but like others said who knows if this will work in the future. . .
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

eeessttaa wrote:Probably should've started out the post with saying it works. . .
What rollin_eng and s55 are pointing out is that "works" needs to be in quotes in this context. We do not test this configuration. We make no effort to ensure that it continues to work. And we may knowingly allow it to break when making some other desirable change. I can't speak for makemkv, but I doubt verification of compatibility with HandBrake is high on their priorities as well.

So if you want something that you can be sure will work continuously and consistently, you should modify your work flow and use makemkv directly as a prerip stage. There are a number of advantages to this, the biggest IMO is that you can rip several discs to HDD (which is fast), then set HandBrake to work on all of them overnight (which is slow).
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

I'll second John's suggested work flow... separating the rip from the encode greatly reduces your "face time" with the computer!