Support of 10-bit with h/x265 ?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
ThiWeb

Support of 10-bit with h/x265 ?

Post by ThiWeb »

Hello,

I want to know if HandBrake support the 10-bit with h/x265 encoding ?
If yes, how use it ?
If no, do you know how this function will be availiable ?

Thank's a lot for you great work ;)

ThiWeb
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Support of 10-bit with h/x265 ?

Post by Woodstock »

Quick answer, No.

Longer answer found by searching includes facts like the video pipeline within HB is only 8-bit, so encoding 10 is not useful, but that future versions will move to a 10-bit pipeline.
moneymatt4life
Veteran User

Post by moneymatt4life »

it's apparently already being worked on ;)
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

moneymatt4life wrote:it's apparently already being worked on ;)
What is being worked on is adding the ability to run the 10 (or 12) bit encoder if the user installs the corresponding shared library themselves. I have implemented detection and run-time loading of these libraries.

The encoder will be simply encoding 8-bit content using the 10-bit encoder (i.e. shift left by 2 all pixels in the image and feed to encoder). There are no plans to ship >8 bit encoders with HandBrake. There is a small quality advantage in using the 10 bit encoder with 8 bit content. It prevents some banding, or so I've been told. And there is a pretty hefty performance penalty. IMO you have to be awfully damn picky for the greater bit depth to be desirable to you.

It will be quite a while (if ever) before we have a full pipeline that supports >8 bits.

https://github.com/HandBrake/HandBrake/pull/23
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

There is a small quality advantage in using the 10 bit encoder with 8 bit content. It prevents some banding, or so I've been told.
The one case where this was demonstrable in my tests (but still slight to none) is with pristine 4:4:4 RGB source {not 8 bit YUV), and not for the popular explanations being bandied about the internet. There "is" a case for passing 10-bit intermediates to Handbrake for 8 bit delivery, owing to its excellent dithering characteristics.
IMO you have to be awfully damn picky for the greater bit depth to be desirable to you.
Assuming one's goal is not to produce a digital intermediate for critical grading and subsequent encoding, the differences would seem insignificant.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Converting 8-bit anything to ProRes can actually introduce banding in my experience. No idea about high bit depth x264 or x265.
ThiWeb

Post by ThiWeb »

Thanks for answers. :)

ThiWeb