Queue has no "Encode" button

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
royone
Enlightened

Queue has no "Encode" button

Post by royone »

I can add items to the queue, and have Move Up, Move Down, and Delete buttons there, but there's no button to start the encoding.

This may be related to a different bug: Show Presets doesn't do anything. I figured out, by manually resizing the window, that it's supposed to resize the window larger so that the "drawer" (or what would be on a Mac) of preset shows. I can do that myself. But I can't resize the Queue window, so if the Queue window is sized so that the Encode button doesn't display, I'm stuck.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Would you happen to be using a theme or something other than those that come with windows?
royone
Enlightened

Post by royone »

No, no special themes or add-ins. It's a laptop running XP, with screen resolution of 1920x1200. The biggest customization is wallpaper.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Any Accessibility options enabled?
Running .Net Framework 3?

The queue window is non resizeable so your basically stuffed there unless you can discover the cost.

In tools > options there is a setting to enable the preset pane to always show. Might try turning that on although if the system is not taking resize commands correctly then it may not work.

It's usually a screwed up theme that causes the system to ignore size values.
Can you provide a screenshot, would be interesting to see if anything else is out of position.
royone
Enlightened

Post by royone »

Running .Net Framework 2. Not 3. I don't have any accessibility options on that I know of. The "always show presets pane" didn't do anything; it didn't even disable the Hide/Show button. I didn't mention that Hide Presets does resize the window smaller. I just have to manually make it larger to see the presets.

Screendump below. Wallpaper changed to solid blue for the sake of PNG file size. I have windows up for Handbrake, Queue, and (for good measure) Display Properties.
http://www.shelly-and-roy.com/screendump.PNG
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

I assume that's the media center edition of XP.

My guess is there is something wrong with it's stock theme which is causing the GUI to fall over. If you switch the theme over to windows classic you may find that the GUI will work correctly.
PuzZLeR
Bright Spark User

Post by PuzZLeR »

Long shot, but worth mentioning.

I helped someone with a similar problem here but that was easy. Could it be the case of a resolution adjustment with you too?
royone
Enlightened

Post by royone »

My screen is at full resolution, and my fonts are normal (as opposed to large or extra large) size, so I don't have any leeway there. If you look at the screen dump, you see there's plenty of real estate.

I am using XP Media Center edition.

I changed the theme to Windows Classic, and rebooted (after waiting for an encode I had running to finish). Apparently the smaller title bars bought me just enough extra that I can catch the tops of the buttons now. So I can use it, if I can remember which button is where. The Show/Hide Presets issue is unaffected. As an additional data point, I've found that regardless of whether it says Show or Hide, if I've resized the window to make the Preset list visible, the button resizes it to the invisible state.