convert mp4 to format compatible with LG TV

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
etfn

convert mp4 to format compatible with LG TV

Post by etfn »

Need help converting mp4 videos into a format that can be played back on an older model LG display (model m4214ccba). According to the manual it supports:
mpeg1
mpeg2
mpeg4-v2, but not v3
DivX3 thru 6
XviD

I am using Handbrake 10.2 and a Window 7 x64 for converting. I have tried the mpeg2 and mpeg4 codecs and then just renamed the output file extension to .mpeg, but it will not play on the LG. The tv just says "invalid format".

Not that knowledgeable about all the different formats and options. Can someone tell me what setting I should use to convert properly? Thanks
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: convert mp4 to format compatible with LG TV

Post by Woodstock »

A lot of TVs require specific file extensions to "find" files. Incorrect extension means makes it not work.

Extensions to try: .mpg, .m4v, .avi

My older Samsung will play MKV files ONLY if they have a .avi file extension. Files with a .mkv extension aren't even seen while browsing for them, but the format IS supported.
moneymatt4life
Veteran User

Post by moneymatt4life »

manual says it supports .m4v :? shouldn't need to rename the extension...
but it seems you'll have to use mpeg4 video along with either mp3 or ac3 audio...
only supports up to dvd resolution, 720x480@30fps max/720x576@25fps max...

if it's not playing, then you'll need to post the encode log from the file that won't play to see where to make adjustments so that it might...
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Start with the Universal preset. Change the video codec from H.264 to MPEG-4 and the audio codec from AAC to MP3 or AC3. You can probably remove the second AC3 audio track. See how that works.

Just a heads up, this will be standard definition video encoded in a fairly old video codec, so don't expect it to look like Blu-ray.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

I suggest you try x264/mp4 with the Baseline profile. If it works, try Main profile. They both should work.
etfn

Post by etfn »

finally got it work. I had to put all your ideas together, so a "Thank You" goes out to each one of you.

1. used the Universal preset as a base
2. change anamorphic to none, which allowed me to change picture size to 720x480
3. changed video codec to mpeg-4
4. changed audio codec to ac3 and deleted the second track
5. the LG tv did only "find" certain file extensions and not mkv or mp4 that Handbrake creates. So, I renamed to m4v.

Thanks again.
moneymatt4life
Veteran User

Post by moneymatt4life »

2. if not using anamorphic (which you should use if the source is DVD), remember to keep apsect ratio checked ;) i know TVs have various stretching options, but still :P 720x480@30fps / 720x576@25fps storage dimensions are the maximum, shouldn't mean the file won't play if it's not specifically those dimensions :?
4. if the source audio is AC3, remember use passthru ;) tv should support it :?
5. there's an option to have handbrake always use .m4v (Tools>Options>Output Files>MP4 File Extension>Always use M4V)