Updating of Presets

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
DrXenos
Bright Spark User

Updating of Presets

Post by DrXenos »

Is there a way to tell HandBrake not to update presets at startup?

Thanks.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Updating of Presets

Post by mduell »

What's the use case for this?
DrXenos
Bright Spark User

Post by DrXenos »

I'll take that as a "no."
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

I don't know the answer, but I can't imagine why you would want this.
DrXenos
Bright Spark User

Post by DrXenos »

Because I've always found the user presets to be buggy and don't save every setting, and don't seem to be able to do somethings the build-in presets can. So, whenever I update HandBrake, the first thing I do is set High to default, delete all the other presets, then I manually modify the presets file to configure High the way I want it. But with the latest nightly is smart enough to clubber my changes and restore the presets.

Yeah, I know it is unusual and I'd never expect support for it (whenever I've needed support, I've always reinstalled HandBrake or reset the presets), I just don't want it to clobber my changes.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

I don't think the built in presets can do anything user presets can't.

But presets (built in or user) aren't compatible across versions, so the only alternative to updating them would be to delete them all.

Maybe your user preset issue is trying to reuse them across different versions? That would appear "buggy" since it doesn't work.
DrXenos
Bright Spark User

Post by DrXenos »

No, it's not, because I don't use user presets. So, any issues of reuse is moot. I try them once in a while to see how they progressed but that is all. I don't save them nor try to use old ones.

Nor have I ever tried to use a an old presets file. When I update HandBrake, it updates the presets and and then I reapply my changes.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

mduell wrote:What's the use case for this?
mduell wrote:I don't know the answer, but I can't imagine why you would want this.
Personally I don't like software messing with my computer if I don't want it to.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

It's not messing with your computer. The built in preset files are managed by the app as they are owned by the app.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

s55 wrote:It's not messing with your computer. The built in preset files are managed by the app as they are owned by the app.
In this case I don't really care but an option to not auto-update could be useful to some people.

If the presets are 'owned' by the app then maybe the user should not be allowed to delete them.
DrXenos
Bright Spark User

Post by DrXenos »

s55 wrote:It's not messing with your computer. The built in preset files are managed by the app as they are owned by the app.
s55: Is there a way to replicate High's behavior of taking the first audio track and saving it twice, once as AAC and then as pass-through? I've never been able to do that. I really like this but it's a pain to have to do manually.

Also, last I tried, a few settings in audio and/or subtitles weren't "stick," but if I manually set them in the JSON (or XML) file, they were. Maybe this has been fixed since then. I will try it again. I usually don't report problems like this because I don't want to waste time uploading a useless log file just to report a minor GUI issue. I just find a way to work around them (thus, my modifying of the presets).

Thanks,
DrX
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

DrXenos wrote:
s55: Is there a way to replicate High's behavior of taking the first audio track and saving it twice, once as AAC and then as pass-through? I've never been able to do that. I really like this but it's a pain to have to do manually.
Set it up that way in the audio defaults, then save the preset.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

If the presets are 'owned' by the app then maybe the user should not be allowed to delete them.
It's perfectly valid to perform any action with the app allows, including deleting them as it's the application that's managing the underlying file. These files are in the application data folder, which is hidden by default from the user. It's not a feature to allow the user to change them.

Code: Select all

Also, last I tried, a few settings in audio and/or subtitles weren't "stick," but if I manually set them in the JSON (or XML) file, they were. Maybe this has been fixed since then. I will try it again. I usually don't report problems like this because I don't want to waste time uploading a useless log file just to report a minor GUI issue. I just find a way to work around them (thus, my modifying of the presets).
If you don't post about bugs, they won't get fixed.

If people are finding workarounds instead, I'll move to block the workarounds.

Either way, Audio and Subtitle defaults are storing correctly when i checked. If you have a case where they don't, please provide evidence in a bug report, preferably step by step instructions.
DrXenos
Bright Spark User

Post by DrXenos »

s55 wrote:If people are finding workarounds instead, I'll move to block the workarounds.
I must misunderstand you. Why would you purposely block someone from working around a bug?
DrXenos
Bright Spark User

Post by DrXenos »

mduell wrote:Set it up that way in the audio defaults, then save the preset.
Well, I must be dim then. I've never found any way to match that behavior in the default. I thought it must be something intrinsic to the built-in itself.