Interlace in = Interlace out

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
scooterspal

Interlace in = Interlace out

Post by scooterspal »

Just a clarification, please...

If I have all filters off then I am converting interlaced video in TO interlaced video out, is this correct?

Is there any reason I would use the decomb filter if I need to keep the video interlaced for TV broadcast?

Thanks!
Deleted User 11865

Re: Interlace in = Interlace out

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

You need to make sure anamorphic is set to Strict and that all decomb/deinterlace filters are off, and add the following to your advanced encoder options:

Code: Select all

tff=1

Code: Select all

bff=1
…depending on whether your source is top or bottom field first.
scooterspal

Post by scooterspal »

As I look at the properties now I can see none of the previously made files are still interlaced whether I had all filters off or had decomb on. All are progressive.

Will try again with new settings.
Last edited by scooterspal on Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scooterspal

Post by scooterspal »

Doing as you suggest I'm getting scan type - MBAAF with top field first.

Flexible interlaced-scan video coding... Macroblock-adaptive frame-field (MBAFF) coding...partly progressive and partly interlaced

So my question is... is this true interlaced video similar to what I was inputting? Will it be recognized as such by the television broadcaster's systems AND display correctly on an interlaced television?
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Yes. MBAFF just allows the encoder to switch between interlaced and progressive compression based on what's more efficient for a given macroblock; all frames are still flagged interlaced though (and interlacing is obviously preserved).
scooterspal

Post by scooterspal »

Fantastic!

Thanks for all the help on this. Much appreciated : )
tokinkosh

Post by tokinkosh »

I am trying to find settings for encoding interlaced music videos from dvd and this looked so promising. I had to report. I use lav filters for playback and they are set to use HW deinterlace@50/60 FPS. so the raw dvd video looks awesome but black bars all around. With these settings Handbrake did its wonderful autocrop and I left the interlacing in and lav filters is playing it at 60 FPS but i am seeing the interlacing now!!! Bummer so close, back to the 200+ meg file instead of the 77 meg .x265 file :-(
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Activity Log is required for support requests. See Must Read: How To Get Questions Answered on These Forums for details