Stuck at Muxing 0.00%

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
beeswax

Stuck at Muxing 0.00%

Post by beeswax »

Hey everyone,

I have tried searching around for anyone else with this problem and I can't quite seem to find the same problem. I have tried ripping two DVDs since upgrading to the latest Handbrake 2.4 GUI for Windows. Both of them go through the whole encoding process (film preset) but when they hit the muxing phase, they just stop and sit at 0.00% on the CLI. The CPU is still active at about 50% and I have let it run for about a day without it ever finishing.

I never had this problem with the last release. If anyone could offer up some advice I would appreciate it. Thanks
Tybio

Post by Tybio »

Uncheck "Chapter Markers"

Not sure why, but that fixed it for me...even if it made the encodes less ideal.
defalkner

muxing...

Post by defalkner »

Just let the system keep muxing. My videos usually take about 40minutes to encode then another 20-30 minutes to mux. for a whole movie. This appears to be normal. It seems to take forever but just let it go... and go... itll eveuntally stop finish up...
maclauk

I've a similar problem...

Post by maclauk »

Muxing sticks at 0.00% and the figure does not change. hbcli.exe is sat using almost all of one processor core, whilst the other does much less. Also there is little or no hard drive activity. :?

I'll leave it for an hour or so to see if it finishes as suggested above but I am not hopeful.

Has anyone else come across this problem and more importantly a work around?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

It's not a problem. Its perfectly normal for it to take several hours.

It is working just fine. The muxing counter just doesn't work, that's all
eldiablo7890

Post by eldiablo7890 »

i have the same problem; why did no one notice this before? is it certain settings that cause this problem?
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

eldiablo7890 wrote:i have the same problem; why did no one notice this before? is it certain settings that cause this problem?
Did you not read the post directly above yours (by the lead developer for the Windows build)?
tversity@kravjanski.net

Stuck at Muxing 0.00%

Post by tversity@kravjanski.net »

I had the same problem, I unistalled my Nvidia network software and a whole bunch of problems went away on my 64bit Vista system. The Muxing now takes a few minutes versus 30 minutes or more before.
petruccifreak07

Muxing at 0.00%

Post by petruccifreak07 »

i have the same problem and its doing exactly the same thing
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

What part of
It's not a problem. Its perfectly normal for it to take several hours.

It is working just fine. The muxing counter just doesn't work, that's all
did you not understand? Why did you post here without even reading this thread? Kind of defeats the purpose on looking it up don't you think?
snjcole

muxing stuck at 0.00%

Post by snjcole »

I followed the thread and understand the counter doesn't work, but when I exit the command window, The file appears in my movies folder, but is in an m4v format and when I try to import it into itunes, nothing happens. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

If you kill the CLI before its finished, It will result in a corrupted file.
whoissasha

encoding RE-starts after muxing for 1.5 hours

Post by whoissasha »

I too thought that HandBrake was stuck on the "muxing" stage, but then realized it was just taking a long time.

However, when it seems to finish after 1.5 hours, the ENCODING phase starts all over. A couple items to note:

1. The file size grows all the way to the muxing stage, then stops, and the modification date remains the same as well.
2. Another movie I encoded with HandBrake seemed to go through the muxing stage MUCH faster, and that one completed successfully.

If you can offer any ideas or workarounds, I'd be very greatful.

Thank you,

-Sasha Borodin
replayfan

Re: Stuck at Muxing 0.00%

Post by replayfan »

beeswax wrote: I have let it run for about a day without it ever finishing.
This is also what happens to me, so I don't really believe that it is working correctly but counter is broken. Any other advice besides "it's fine, let it run" is appreciated
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

This is also what happens to me, so I don't really believe that it is working correctly but counter is broken. Any other advice besides "it's fine, let it run" is appreciated
Muxing can in some cases take 2~3 times the amount of time the encode does. It's normal. I wouldn't be saying this if it wasn't!

You use bframes, you have to put up with slow muxing. Your choice.
royone
Enlightened

Re: Stuck at Muxing 0.00%

Post by royone »

replayfan wrote: Any other advice besides "it's fine, let it run" is appreciated
Pull up the task manager. If hbcli.exe is still sucking up CPU time, it's still working. If it's not, you might find that you can kill the window and the file is complete and playable.

That happened to me once. I think it was on a previous version of Handbrake. Obviously, no guarantee.
stevation

Post by stevation »

sr55 wrote:
You use bframes, you have to put up with slow muxing. Your choice.
How do I choose whether to use bframes or not? How did you know someone was using bframes when you made that comment? I'm waiting for some slow muxing right now myself, and if I can get it to work on my ipod without bframes, please tell me how to disable that feature. Thanks.
stevation

Post by stevation »

OK, so I'm a noob. I played with HB some more and it looks like bframes are something you can choose to add in the h264 settings. Anyway, from other things I read in the forum, I understand that bframes are incompatible with my iPod, so I guess I'll just forget about them.

And the slow muxing I was experiencing was no big deal. It eventually finished after a few more hours.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

This should be corrected in the next release (and is already in the SVN).

Rodney