Strange Detelecine Artifact

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Deleted User 34447

Strange Detelecine Artifact

Post by Deleted User 34447 »

I've been using Detelecine for awhile on my animated shows and I've recently hit a snag. I am trying to encode my copy of Batman: The Animated Series and I'm getting some sort of interlacing artifact after running it through Handbrake. I have an image to show you what I mean here. Make sure you zoom in, it's hard to see on most of the scaled down versions.

I've tried several different ways to get rid of it and nothing has been successful. I've got it with Detelecine and Decomb, just Detelecine, and with just Decomb. No matter what it comes out with this weird artifacting.

Activity Log ran with Detelecine and Decomb
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Re: Strange Detelecine Artifact

Post by Smithcraft »

Is this a duplicate of your other thread?

SC
Deleted User 34447

Technically, yes. The other thread was buried and felt a little bloated considering my triple post.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

I can see it; appears to be a slight chroma subsampling mismatch between fields, possibly in the source.
The fact that it's SD doesn't help matters any. Certainly not uncommon with analog film transfers.
Did you try detelecine without decomb or vice versa?
Did you try a light denoise filter?
Deleted User 34447

I did try it with just Detelecine and with just Decomb. I haven't tried it with any sort of Denoise filter because I haven't had to use one in the past, so I am inexperienced in that area, and also because I figured it was some sort of glitch. It looked to me like some of another frame's lines somehow are getting mixed with another frames. It happens in more places than there typically around motion.

Is there a particular Denoise setting that you recommend I try? I'll run it with whatever you recommend and post the results back here.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Most likely there is nothing you can do.
Try some things, and post back if you find a solution.
moneymatt4life
Veteran User

Post by moneymatt4life »

picture quality won't be as nice, but try and see if using full deinterlace gets rid of it...