Updated HB now ripped video unwatchable

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
dlhalt101

Updated HB now ripped video unwatchable

Post by dlhalt101 »

I'll start by saying I'm not a HB tweaker... I use the Normal preset and with great results up to now.

I was using HB 9.9 on the Normal preset and everything was working perfectly. Most DVDs would take about 30 mins on average to rip and the size hovered right around 1gb.

I got the notification to update to 10 which I did and now the rip takes 2-3 times longer... the file size is about 4x larger and the video is garbled so is unwatchable.

I tried uninstalling and going back to 9.9 but when I started the program a dialog box informed me that the presets were out of date and would be updated. Now I have the same bad results with 9.9 that started happening with my 10 update.

Please help... am I missing an obvious tweak somewhere?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Updated HB now ripped video unwatchable

Post by Woodstock »

An activity log, which shows what is going on with your current settings, makes it possible to HAVE "obvious tweaks"....

No log = No idea.
dlhalt101

Post by dlhalt101 »

Woodstock wrote:An activity log, which shows what is going on with your current settings, makes it possible to HAVE "obvious tweaks"....

No log = No idea.
Unfortunately my attempt to fix with a re-install of the pre-update condition wiped away any activity log... lessons learned for next time = (

I've tried tweaks and "best set-ups" with 9.9 and 10 and still nothing seems to work.

Always the same result... longer encoding time, garbled mess video and audio.

Argh... if I could turn back time and not update I'd be merrily ripping away.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Install 0.10.0, do an encode, and post a log.
dlhalt101

Post by dlhalt101 »

mduell... I did as you've suggested and now have a very long encode log and scan log. Which do I post and how much of the log do I post?
dlhalt101

Post by dlhalt101 »

Sorry for the long post but below is just a fraction of the log... I deleted a lot of the redundant looking info out of the middle to make is smaller.

What's puzzling is that 9.9 was working Wednesday... no change except for update to 10 and the very next day all kinds of errors.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
HandBrake 0.10.0.6534 - 64bit Version
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz
Ram: 8071 MB,
GPU Information:
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M - 9.18.13.4411
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 - 10.18.10.3412
Screen: 1366x768
Temp Dir: C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Temp\
Install Dir: C:\Program Files\Handbrake
Data Dir: C:\Users\David\AppData\Roaming\HandBrake\HandBrake\0.10.0.6534

-------------------------------------------
CLI Query: -i "E:\\" -t 1 --angle 1 -c 1-29 -o "C:\Users\David\Videos\misc\Theillusionist D2-1.mp4" -f mp4 -w 720 --crop 0:0:0:0 --loose-anamorphic --modulus 2 -e x264 -q 20 --vfr -a 1 -E av_aac -6 dpl2 -R Auto -B 160 -D 0 --gain 0 --audio-fallback ac3 --markers="C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Temp\Theillusionist D2-1-1-chapters.csv" --encoder-preset=veryfast --encoder-level="4.0" --encoder-profile=main --verbose=1

[12:05:02] hb_init: starting libhb thread
HandBrake 0.10.0 (2014112200) - MinGW x86_64 - https://handbrake.fr
4 CPUs detected
Opening E:\...
[12:05:02] CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz
[12:05:02] - Intel microarchitecture Ivy Bridge
[12:05:02] - logical processor count: 4
[12:05:03] OpenCL device #1: Intel(R) Corporation Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
[12:05:03] - OpenCL version: 1.2
[12:05:03] - driver version: 10.18.10.3412
[12:05:03] - device type: GPU
[12:05:03] - supported: no
[12:05:03] OpenCL device #2: NVIDIA Corporation GeForce GT 650M
[12:05:03] - OpenCL version: 1.1 CUDA
[12:05:03] - driver version: 344.11
[12:05:03] - device type: GPU
[12:05:03] - supported: no
[12:05:03] Intel Quick Sync Video support: no
[12:05:03] hb_scan: path=E:\, title_index=1
libbluray/bdnav/index_parse.c:162: indx_parse(): error opening E:\/BDMV/index.bdmv
libbluray/bdnav/index_parse.c:162: indx_parse(): error opening E:\/BDMV/BACKUP/index.bdmv
libbluray/bluray.c:2182: nav_get_title_list(E:\) failed
[12:05:03] bd: not a bd - trying as a stream/file instead
libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 5.0.1
libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.
libdvdread: Could not open input: No such file or directory
libdvdread: Can't open E:\ for reading
libdvdread: Device E:\ inaccessible, CSS authentication not available.
libdvdnav: DVD disk reports itself with Region mask 0x00fe0000. Regions: 1
libdvdread: Could not open input: No such file or directory
libdvdread: Can't open E:\ for reading
libdvdread: Device E:\ inaccessible, CSS authentication not available.
[12:05:03] scan: audio 0x80bd: ac3, rate=48000Hz, bitrate=448000 English (AC3) (5.1 ch)
[12:05:03] Broken timestamps detected. Reordering.
[12:05:03] scan: 10 previews, 720x480, 23.976 fps, autocrop = 0/0/0/0, aspect 16:9, PAR 32:27
Scanning title 1 of 1, preview 10, 100.00 %[12:05:03] libhb: scan thread found 1 valid title(s)
+ title 1:
+ vts 3, ttn 1, cells 0->35 (3472864 blocks)
+ duration: 01:48:51
+ size: 720x480, pixel aspect: 32/27, display aspect: 1.78, 23.976 fps
+ autocrop: 0/0/0/0
+ support opencl: no
+ support hwd: no
[12:26:56] mux: track 1, 306194 frames, 162406220 bytes, 198.74 kbps, fifo 8192
[12:26:56] libhb: work result = 0
Encode done!
HandBrake has exited.
Last edited by dlhalt101 on Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

dlhalt101 wrote:libdvdnav: DVD disk reports itself with Region mask 0x00fe0000. Regions: 1
Windows GUI guide, very first line.

The best option is to rip with MakeMKV and then encode the files from that.

Another option is to install libdvdcss, but it doesn't work with all disks anyway.
dlhalt101

Post by dlhalt101 »

Just to test the theory I tried to back-up one I had done when all was working with 9.9 and sure enough... same title no longer works with 10, even with libdvd

I'll just have to see if I can somehow recreate the former glory with 9.9 and an older version of libdvd = (
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

You're chasing your tail here. If you install a working (i.e. correctly named) libdvdcss it will work with 0.10.0 just as well as it worked with 0.9.9, and have all of the benefits of the new version (over a year of development effort).
kloptops

Post by kloptops »

Had the same exact problem, took me a while to work it out. But it seems HandBrake now instead of "libdvdcss.dll", it wants it to be named "libdvdcss-2.dll". Hope this helps you out! I was tearing my hair out going around in circles trying to figure this out!
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

The file comes as libdvdcss-2.dll... why would you change the name...
dlhalt101

Post by dlhalt101 »

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!! kloptops, thank you so much!!!! I spent HOURS trying to sort this out. So simple... just leaving the file name as is instead of removing the -2. Why couldn't anyone tell us this for goodness sake.

Thanks again kloptops.
dlhalt101

Post by dlhalt101 »

Because the info out there tells you to remove the -2... then the madness begins.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

dlhalt101 wrote:OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!! kloptops, thank you so much!!!! I spent HOURS trying to sort this out. So simple... just leaving the file name as is instead of removing the -2. Why couldn't anyone tell us this for goodness sake.

Thanks again kloptops.
It's already been covered multiple times if you searched before posting...
dlhalt101 wrote:Because the info out there tells you to remove the -2... then the madness begins.
What info? Something in the app? On http://handbrake.fr? Or on some out of date, unofficial site full of bad advice?
dlhalt101

Post by dlhalt101 »

Seriously mduell, I was looking for help not smart-[Censored] remarks... I'm a newb in THIS forum but not an idiot.

What was I supposed to search for... "what question am I not asking that I should ask so I don't waste hours of my time doing the very thing that other sites are telling me to do?"

I've now gotten the help from someone else (non-judgmental) that was going through the same thing so this isn't an isolated incident... which also means I don't need you're continued comments trying to cover the fact you couldn't help.

So how about we leave it at that... everyone's happy.
dlhalt101

Post by dlhalt101 »

Just so you know where I got it from... http://www.ubergizmo.com/how-to/how-to- ... handbrake/
kloptops

Post by kloptops »

To be fair there is nothing on the FAQ section of the http://handbrake.fr/ what to do with the libdvdcss.dll, nor anything on the wiki. I was at a loss of what to do to fix it when I stumbled upon this forum and this post and one other did not offer a single suggestion on where to look as regards to installing the libdvdcss.dll. After figuring it out on my own, I have since found a post explaining that you do not rename libdvdcss.dll, but it's not stickied at all, as it probably should be.

What are the best search terms for "My video looks like garbled crap after ripping a dvd, I have put libdvdcss.dll in the install folder like suggested and renamed it"?

They have posted their debug log like suggested and all you've said is that the best method is to use another program and then convert the output from that video. I had HB working perfectly but an upgrade nuked the install directory, and with it the libdvdcss.dll. This made 3 rips unwatchable until I caught it. I then spent 2 hours trying to fix it, installing older versions and using different libdvdcss.dll versions.

I'm not making a rip at the creators of HB, its excellent software which when it works, does an admirable job. However there is no official documentation on the website (without hitting the forums) on how to set it up to rip dvds and libdvdcss.dll. I understand this is a liability issue, that's fair enough, but you can't rip at a user for looking up guides on the web and finding old outdated guides that suggest you rename libdvdcss.dll to not include the "-2".

I personally do not understand why the developers haven't coded the software to look for both files, and use either if found... but it has been at least 6 years since I did any windows programming, and I have purged all memory of working with DLLs from my memory. They could have a very good reason for this intended behaviour, so I cannot really judge them on that.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

The problem here is that while libdvdcss can be installed alongside the HandBrake executable it has never been officially supported by the developers and is not guaranteed work. The fact that it currently works is coincidental and may change at any time. The official stance, which also applies to the Mac and linux ports now, is to pre-rip with a dedicated ripper prior to encoding.

This is why libdvdcss.dll isn't mentioned in the FAQ or on the wiki.
dlhalt101

Post by dlhalt101 »

Thank you very much kloptops for the issue resolution (though it sounds it may be temporary).

And thank you very much TedJ for the respectful answer.

All of you have a great New Year and happy ripping = )
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

dlhalt101 wrote:What was I supposed to search for... "what question am I not asking that I should ask so I don't waste hours of my time doing the very thing that other sites are telling me to do?"
kloptops wrote:What are the best search terms for "My video looks like garbled crap after ripping a dvd, I have put libdvdcss.dll in the install folder like suggested and renamed it"?
All this hand wringing is a bit much when searching for libdvdcss gets you the relevant results.
kloptops wrote:To be fair there is nothing on the FAQ section of the http://handbrake.fr/ what to do with the libdvdcss.dll, nor anything on the wiki. I was at a loss of what to do to fix it when I stumbled upon this forum and this post and one other did not offer a single suggestion on where to look as regards to installing the libdvdcss.dll. After figuring it out on my own, I have since found a post explaining that you do not rename libdvdcss.dll, but it's not stickied at all, as it probably should be.

I'm not making a rip at the creators of HB, its excellent software which when it works, does an admirable job. However there is no official documentation on the website (without hitting the forums) on how to set it up to rip dvds and libdvdcss.dll. I understand this is a liability issue, that's fair enough, but you can't rip at a user for looking up guides on the web and finding old outdated guides that suggest you rename libdvdcss.dll to not include the "-2".
It's not unsupported merely because of the legal issues, but also because of the functional ones. libdvdcss doesn't work against the more advanced protections found on many disks. The HB developers don't want to spend their time defeating the latest protections the way the AnyDVD and MakeMKV developers do.
kloptops wrote:I personally do not understand why the developers haven't coded the software to look for both files, and use either if found... but it has been at least 6 years since I did any windows programming, and I have purged all memory of working with DLLs from my memory. They could have a very good reason for this intended behaviour, so I cannot really judge them on that.
Yea, why aren't they doing more work to find the unsupported thing!
kloptops wrote:They have posted their debug log like suggested and all you've said is that the best method is to use another program and then convert the output from that video. I had HB working perfectly but an upgrade nuked the install directory, and with it the libdvdcss.dll. This made 3 rips unwatchable until I caught it. I then spent 2 hours trying to fix it, installing older versions and using different libdvdcss.dll versions.
And their debug (activity) log revealed the exact problem. My answer is the developers recommendation. They're not interested in paying the disk protection game. libdvdcss may work with some disks, but it certainly doesn't work with all and it is not perfect. Other apps, like AnyDVD or MakeMKV, are much better for ripping a file that HB can use.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

They actually decided to get out of the decryption game several versions back, since it was taking up more time to work on updating decryption schemes than working on great features for Handbrake.

SC