Slow speed on my dual CPU PC

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Lazyncoder
Novice

Slow speed on my dual CPU PC

Post by Lazyncoder »

Hi,
I tried to encode a video to x265 just to check it out. But I noticed it's really slow. I have a dual CPU PC. Dual xeon x5650. 6 cores (12threads) each.
then I opened my Task manager and I saw Handbrake is just using 30-40% of my cpu power. I stopped the encode and tried with x264 codec and I noticed handbrake is using about 90% of my CPU and encoding speed was just fine.

so... is this something about the x265? isn't there any way to force it to use more CPU power (I tried high priority too).
is there any solution at all?

please help me out to find and resolve the problem guys :)
Thanks
moneymatt4life
Veteran User

Re: Slow speed on my dual CPU PC

Post by moneymatt4life »

that's just how x265 is currently (^^',)
you can try pmode, its benefits are more apparent with the more slower x265 presets (slow to veryslow) though...
Lazyncoder
Novice

Post by Lazyncoder »

I hope HB updates x265 more regularly
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

We generally update whenever x265 has an official release (within a couple weeks or so, sometimes quicker).
Lazyncoder
Novice

Post by Lazyncoder »

Well, I understand the only way to help this situation is to have 2-3 encodes simultaneously at the same time. HB has good batch encoding features, but it lacks of something. if you want to have more than one encode at the same time, you have to reopen HB and do everything from the top. it would be awesome if HB could allow users to start other encodes in the queue at the same time. I mean, you opened 25 videos in HB, added them to queue and now you have to wait for them to finish one after each other. only if there was something to let the user start other encodes in the queue at the same time...
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Lazyncoder wrote:it would be awesome if HB could allow users to start other encodes in the queue at the same time
This is one of the end-game goals of some work that is in progress. We are currently adding a json interface to allow easier inter-process communication with frontends (e.g. GUI). Ultimately, this interface could be used to control multiple encode processes from a single frontend. But don't hold your breath, this capability is still quite some ways away.