Schedule for encoding files?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Sailor

Schedule for encoding files?

Post by Sailor »

Hello all,

I have recently started using Handbrake to encode TS stream from my ATSC tuner. My ultimate goal is the automatically encode ALL TS files from a certain folder at a set time each day, and move the output to a new folder. I found an app called "WatchFolder" which does work really well, but it watches the folder for new files and will attempt to encode the TS file before it's completed (still recording). There's a 30 min wait timer, but that't not long enough to wait. That app doesn't appear to be developed any longer :cry:

Would anyone have a suggestion of a better way to accomplish this task?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Schedule for encoding files?

Post by Woodstock »

If WatchFolder can be told to terminate when it finishes processing the folder, you COULD use it as a Scheduled Task, and run it once per day.

Alternatively, is there a way to tell the program for the tuner to move the file into the watched folder when it finishes recording it, rather than recording to the watched folder?
Sailor

Post by Sailor »

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, neither option is available. Watchfolder doesn't have a "quit on completion", and WinTV doesn't allow any post-processing, etc:-(
JackNF
Enlightened

Post by JackNF »

It's been a while since I used the Windows task scheduler, but wasn't there an option when configuring a task to have the scheduler itself shut down a launched program after a specified amount of time? So you could launch Watchfolder with the scheduler but then have the scheduler also set to then turn it off after a couple of hours, however long you think it might take to process everything but before more recordings start.
Sailor

Post by Sailor »

JackNF wrote:It's been a while since I used the Windows task scheduler, but wasn't there an option when configuring a task to have the scheduler itself shut down a launched program after a specified amount of time? So you could launch Watchfolder with the scheduler but then have the scheduler also set to then turn it off after a couple of hours, however long you think it might take to process everything but before more recordings start.
Thanks for this comment, it smacked me enough to realize all I needed to do was create a batch file to move all .TS files to a new folder, and make that a scheduled task. This way WatchFolder sees the new files (and can be delayed by 5 mins to ensure the move finishes). Sometimes you overlook the simple stuff;-)